What is the maximum depth to which a P-wave ray can travel?

In summary: You have it backward. Waves tend to curve back towards the surface because the velocity mostly increases with depth. Think of a light ray through glass. Total internal reflection occurs because the light is slower in glass than in air.Reaching a place where the P wave velocity is lower is not going to cause reflection. So what will happen?
peeballs
Homework Statement
For a spherical Earth (see Table 1 for velocity and depth, linear gradient),
what is the maximum depth a P-wave ray with p = 0:05 can travel to? If we
increase the ray parameter to p = 0:055 or p = 0:06, what are the maximum
depths these rays can travel to?
Relevant Equations
zf = -a*ln(r/a), (r/a)*vf = (a/r)*vs(r), 20/6371 = (vs/r)
I've created an excel spreadsheet with the given model in addition to calculating radius of the layer by subtracting depth from 6371. I've calculated Zf.

I've also found what I think is vs by doing alpha * (radius column/6371), but that could be wrong. I know I need to find where 20/6371 = Vs/r, but I think I made a mistake along the way because my solution doesn't include any answers that work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_27.png
    Screenshot_27.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_28.png
    Screenshot_28.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 129
Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

Could you be a bit more complete ? Some explanation of meaning and units with the variables, which ones are known, which equations you use to calculate which unknowns, etc. etc.

Legibility can be improved if you use ##\alpha## instead of a, make use of subscripts, etc. etc.

Why doesn't p occur in your equations ?

This is about shock wave propagation in Earth's crust ?

BvU said:
HI,

Could you be a bit more complete ? Some explanation of meaning and units with the variables, which ones are known, which equations you use to calculate which unknowns, etc. etc.

Legibility can be improved if you use ##\alpha## instead of a, make use of subscripts, etc. etc.

Why doesn't p occur in your equations ?

This is about shock wave propagation in Earth's crust ?
@BvU Here's another screengrab of the spreadsheet with more detailed units and formulas. Still confused. I don't use p because 1/p (i.e., velocity) is the relevant value I need - 1/p is the value I am trying to find depth for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_29.png
    Screenshot_29.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 130
peeballs said:
@BvU Here's another screengrab of the spreadsheet with more detailed units and formulas. Still confused. I don't use p because 1/p (i.e., velocity) is the relevant value I need - 1/p is the value I am trying to find depth for.
What is meant by α?
Table 1 merits some explanation. Why do some depths occur twice, and some alpha values occur twice, but staggered?
What does p=0:05 mean? Do you mean 0.05, and would that mean the velocity at max depth is 20km/s? I don't see any alpha values that high.

@haruspex
alpha is the p-wave velocity in km/s.

Some depths and velocities occur twice because they're the depths to the layer and the thickness of layers can be reoccurring, and since the velocities of p-waves in these layers depends on many factors, they may repeat as well. Table 1 is non-negotiable as it's given as part of the task.

The turning point (value I'm told to find) is where 1/v = 0.05 - so yes, the spherical velocity of the max depth is 20 km/s. I'm assuming that means I did the conversion wrong somewhere, which I'm asking about. I don't know where, though.

peeballs said:
@haruspex
alpha is the p-wave velocity in km/s.

Some depths and velocities occur twice because they're the depths to the layer and the thickness of layers can be reoccurring, and since the velocities of p-waves in these layers depends on many factors, they may repeat as well. Table 1 is non-negotiable as it's given as part of the task.

The turning point (value I'm told to find) is where 1/v = 0.05 - so yes, the spherical velocity of the max depth is 20 km/s. I'm assuming that means I did the conversion wrong somewhere, which I'm asking about. I don't know where, though.
I think the key item in the table is the last one. Note how the velocity drops. You know why that is, right? What will happen to a wave that gets that far?

haruspex said:
I think the key item in the table is the last one. Note how the velocity drops. You know why that is, right? What will happen to a wave that gets that far?
@haruspex once it slows down enough won't it just turn around? It still doesn't help me find the equivalent spherical depth where that occurs

peeballs said:
@haruspex once it slows down enough won't it just turn around? It still doesn't help me find the equivalent spherical depth where that occurs
You have it backward. Waves tend to curve back towards the surface because the velocity mostly increases with depth.
Think of a light ray through glass. Total internal reflection occurs because the light is slower in glass than in air.
Reaching a place where the P wave velocity is lower is not going to cause reflection. So what will happen?

1. What is a P-wave ray?

A P-wave ray is a type of seismic wave that travels through the Earth's interior during an earthquake. It is also known as a primary or compressional wave.

2. What is the maximum depth that a P-wave ray can travel?

The maximum depth that a P-wave ray can travel depends on several factors, such as the density and composition of the Earth's layers. On average, P-waves can travel up to 700 kilometers below the Earth's surface.

3. How does the depth affect the speed of P-wave rays?

The speed of P-wave rays increases with depth due to the increasing pressure and density of the Earth's layers. This is because P-waves are compressional waves, meaning they travel faster through denser materials.

4. Can P-wave rays travel through the Earth's core?

No, P-wave rays cannot travel through the Earth's core. This is because the core is made up of liquid iron and nickel, which do not allow P-waves to pass through them.

5. What is the significance of knowing the maximum depth of P-wave ray travel?

Knowing the maximum depth of P-wave ray travel can help scientists understand the Earth's interior structure and composition. It can also provide important information about the potential for earthquakes and other seismic activity at different depths.