What is the Maximum Torque Transmission Capability of a Cone Clutch?

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a cone clutch for torque transmission and the difficulty in calculating its maximum torque transmission capability. The concept of failure is also discussed, with clarification on the definition in this context. The clutch's reliance on friction and the need for an axial load to engage are also mentioned.
shishir.iitr
Hi. I am trying to develop a cone clutch for torque transmission. I have looked a lot over the internet but I cannot find how to calculate the maximum torque transmission capability of a cone clutch. Everywhere they use the equations with inputs of axial force. I want to find the maximum torque that the cone clutch can transmit before failure based on the material properties and friction coefficient between the cone and the cup. Please help out.

Engineering news on Phys.org
@paisiello2 : failure here means that the minimum load at the cup at which the cone is not able to rotate it/ transmit torque (because of its size, its material etc). I want to know how to calculate the (ultimate) torque transmission capacity of the the cone clutch independent of the axial force variable... Thanks for replying.

1) if the cone is not able to rotate then there must be something preventing it from rotating but I don't think this would mean a failure of the clutch itself; rather I would think a failure would be when the cone slips and rotates relative to the cup

2) since the clutch relies on friction then there must be an axial load required to engage, otherwise the torque is zero

What is the load capacity of a cone clutch?

The load capacity of a cone clutch is the maximum amount of force that the clutch can withstand without slipping or failing. It is an important factor to consider when designing and selecting a clutch for a specific application.

How is the load capacity of a cone clutch determined?

The load capacity of a cone clutch is determined by several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the clutch surfaces, the angle of the cone, the width of the clutch face, and the material properties of the clutch components. The load capacity can be calculated using mathematical equations or determined experimentally.

What factors can affect the load capacity of a cone clutch?

The load capacity of a cone clutch can be affected by various factors such as the temperature, speed, and lubrication of the clutch. Higher temperatures can decrease the coefficient of friction and reduce the load capacity, while proper lubrication can increase the load capacity by reducing friction and wear.

What happens if the load capacity of a cone clutch is exceeded?

If the load capacity of a cone clutch is exceeded, it can result in slipping or failure of the clutch. This can cause damage to the clutch and other connected components, leading to costly repairs and downtime. It is important to select a clutch with a sufficient load capacity for the specific application to prevent these issues.

Can the load capacity of a cone clutch be increased?

Yes, the load capacity of a cone clutch can be increased by using a larger clutch size, increasing the angle of the cone, or using materials with higher coefficients of friction. However, it is important to consider other factors such as space limitations and cost when making these adjustments.