What is the mean moleculer weight of the gas at the solar core?

In summary, the mean molecular weight is calculated by considering the abundance of ionized hydrogen and helium in the core, with X=1 representing 100% ionized hydrogen. The weight of the hydrogen atom is not relevant to this calculation. The resulting answer is dimensionless and is not expressed in terms of the weight of the hydrogen atom.
Thomas Smith
Homework Statement
A crude model of the sun has uniform density. The perfect gas law applies and the core is completely ionised and made up by 75% hydrogen and 25% helium by mass. In terms of mass of the hydrogen atom, find the mean molecular weight of the gas at the stellar core.
Relevant Equations
u=(2X+3/4Y+1/2Z)^-1

Here, i have provided the description of the mean molecular weight from my course notes as well as my workings.

I'm not sure about my values for X and Y. It states that X=1 if all of the hydrogen is ionised which i think the 1 represents 100% hydrogen but the core is also made up of ionised helium to, not only hydrogen which is why I have included the 75%= 0.75 of hydrogen as the abundance and the 25% = 0.25 of helium as the abundance.

I know the weight of the hydrogen atom is 1.67 x 10^-27 kg but not sure how the supposed answer of the mean molecular weight is converted to in terms of the weight of the hydrogen atom.

Attachments

• mean molecular weight .jpg
    mean molecular weight .jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 320
Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas Smith said:
It states that X=1 if all of the hydrogen is ionised
No, X=1 if all of the gas is ionised hydrogen.
Thomas Smith said:
I know the weight of the hydrogen atom is 1.67 x 10^-27 kg
Not relevant.

I believe your calculation is correct.

haruspex said:
No, X=1 if all of the gas is ionised hydrogen.

Not relevant.

I believe your calculation is correct.
Thank you for your reply, what units is my answer in? mH ?

Thomas Smith said:
Thank you for your reply, what units is my answer in? mH ?
All I know of this subject is from a little online research to answer your question. As far as I can make out, it is dimensionless.

1. What is the definition of mean molecular weight?

The mean molecular weight is a measure of the average mass of a molecule in a gas mixture, calculated by taking into account the relative abundance of each type of molecule present.

2. How is the mean molecular weight of a gas calculated?

The mean molecular weight of a gas is calculated by dividing the total mass of all the molecules in the gas mixture by the total number of moles of gas present.

3. Why is the mean molecular weight important in understanding the solar core?

The mean molecular weight is important in understanding the solar core because it affects the thermal and pressure properties of the gas. This, in turn, impacts the rate of energy production and the overall structure and behavior of the sun.

4. How does the mean molecular weight vary within the solar core?

The mean molecular weight can vary within the solar core due to the presence of different elements and their relative abundances. As the temperature and pressure increase towards the center of the core, heavier elements can become more prevalent, thus increasing the mean molecular weight.

5. How do scientists determine the mean molecular weight of the gas at the solar core?

Scientists determine the mean molecular weight of the gas at the solar core through spectroscopic analysis of the radiation emitted from the sun. By studying the absorption and emission lines of different elements, scientists can determine their relative abundances and calculate the mean molecular weight.