What is the meaning of "Long time maximum output current ≥ 1.5 A"?

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and capabilities of the HLK-5M05 module, a 5V, 5W AC-DC power supply. It is advertised as a switching source that can handle fluctuations in voltage grid. The data sheet states that the maximum output current is 1000mA, but further analysis on page 6 reveals that the short term maximum output current can be greater than 1200mA and the long term maximum output current can be greater than 1000mA. This means that while the module can sustain a long term current of 1000mA, it may be able to handle a higher current for a brief period of time. However, this should not be relied upon and the module should
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am looking at the module HLK-5M05, which is a ##5\ V, \ 5\ W## AC-DC power supply module. The advantage of this module is that, it does the stepping down and rectification within itself, and is a switching source, so fluctuations in the voltage grid won't affect the output (at least that's what is advertised).

I was looking at the data sheet of this module (attached). If you jump to page 2, under product model, it says the output current is ##1000\ mA##.

Now, look at the output characteristics of 5V/1000mA in page 6. It says,

Short time maximum output current##\ge \ 1200\ mA##
Long time maximum output current##\ge \ 1000\ mA##

How can the maximum output current be greater than some value? Does this mean that I can draw more than ##1\ A## from this module? Doesn't seem so. Then what are they trying to say?

Attachments

• HLK-5M05 datasheet.pdf
    633.1 KB · Views: 156
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think what they must mean is that the short term max current is AT LEAST 1200ma and the long term is AT LEAST 1000ma. So, they are saying that, for example, you might have a long term max current of 1050ma but you can't count on it, you can only count on 1000 for a generic chip.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
phinds said:
but you can't count on it, you can only count on 1000 for a generic chip.
Didn't understand this part.

Wrichik Basu said:
Didn't understand this part.
What I mean is exactly what I said ... if you buy one of those chips, you MIGHT get one that could sustain a long term current of 1050ma, but you can't count on it, you can only count on it being able to sustain a long term current of 1000ma (so you should never design one of those chips into a circuit that has to sustain a long term current of more than 1000ma). Also, you CAN count on it being 1000ma, you don't have to worry about it only being able to sustain 990ma, for example.

Likes Wrichik Basu
My interpretation is it's like a safe operating area (SOA) I normally see on transistors, and so maybe they just used words to describe it instead? So maybe the maximum output current they advertise is for maximum DC where their short time one can handle a pulse or brief moment of (over) current.

One of the problems with sourcing from one of the many low-cost PS suppliers is that they don't spend money on Application Engineers and they don't document their products as well as we all would like. This practice ends up pervading the rest of the PS industry because they have to compete.

For comparison (probably a waste of your time), here's an op-amp data sheet from long ago:
LM324 datasheet

BTW, I agree with everyone else. Regardless of the syntax, what they are saying is you can use this up to 1A forever, and 1.2A briefly. Briefly usually would refer to how long it takes to get too hot.

Likes Wrichik Basu and hutchphd

1. What does "long time maximum output current" refer to?

The "long time maximum output current" refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that can be consistently outputted by a device over an extended period of time.

2. What is the significance of the value being ≥ 1.5 A?

The value being ≥ 1.5 A indicates that the device is capable of consistently outputting a current of 1.5 amps or higher without experiencing any issues or failures.

3. How is the "long time" period determined?

The "long time" period is typically determined by the manufacturer based on the intended usage of the device and its expected lifespan. This can vary depending on the type of device and its components.

4. Why is the maximum output current important to know?

The maximum output current is important to know because it determines the device's capabilities and limitations. It can also help determine if the device is suitable for a particular application or if it may need additional power support.

5. Can the long time maximum output current be exceeded?

It is not recommended to exceed the long time maximum output current as it can potentially cause damage to the device or lead to safety hazards. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications for optimal and safe usage of the device.