What is the meaning of 'Open Source' in electrical and computer field?

In summary, open source refers to the availability of a project's source code for users to modify. Different licenses, such as the GPL, may require the modified source code to be released. This term is commonly used in the software field, but can also apply to hardware projects.
pairofstrings
Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

Open Source generally means that the source code for the project is "open", so a user can modify it. Different licenses exist, the GPL is a common one, in which the user is obliged to release their modified source code.

Open Source does not necessarily imply that the product is free, although it often does.

pairofstrings said:
Thanks!

I think you mean the "software" field. In the electrical field "open source" would be a mosfet device that required an external pull down resistor. :tongue:

uart said:
I think you mean the "software" field. In the electrical field "open source" would be a mosfet device that required an external pull down resistor. :tongue:

I've seen some "open source" hardware projects as well (including the Arduino platform which seems to be quite popular here--having never used it, I can't comment on it). Aside from the new name, I don't know if there's really anything new conceptually, since lots of electronics hobbyists and EEs have shared (in magazine, BBS, or forum format) schematics, code, layouts / gerbers, and in turn, refined and re-shared what they had.

Last edited:

Open source in the electrical and computer field refers to software or hardware that is freely available and can be modified, shared, and distributed by anyone. This means that the source code (the underlying instructions that make a program or device work) is accessible to the public and can be modified and improved upon by users. This concept promotes collaboration and innovation within the field, as individuals and companies can work together to create better and more efficient solutions. Open source also allows for greater transparency and accountability, as the code can be reviewed and audited by anyone. It has become a popular approach in the electrical and computer field, as it allows for the development of high-quality and cost-effective solutions.

What is "Open Source"?

"Open Source" refers to software or hardware that is freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute.

How is "Open Source" different from other software or hardware?

Unlike proprietary software or hardware, "Open Source" products are developed collaboratively and their source code is publicly available for others to view and modify.

What are the benefits of using "Open Source" products in the electrical and computer field?

"Open Source" products are often more affordable and customizable than proprietary products. They also promote collaboration and innovation within the field.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using "Open Source" products?

One potential drawback is a lack of official support or documentation for the product. Additionally, there may be concerns about the security and reliability of "Open Source" products.

How can I contribute to the "Open Source" community in the electrical and computer field?

You can contribute by using and promoting "Open Source" products, reporting bugs and issues, providing feedback, and even contributing to the development of the product through coding or documentation.