What is the meaning of polarization ratio?

In summary: The diode laser I used was pretty weak (1mW I think), so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it, or if it was maybe just that my polarizer was inefficient.It's likely a combination of both factors. The weak laser may not generate enough light to be significantly affected by the polarizer, and the polarizer itself may not be very efficient at blocking the orthogonal polarization.
Cheesycheese213
I was trying to research about polarizing lasers for an experiment, and there were some things that were confusing? A website said,
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 11.13.46 PM.png

I was wondering if the polarization ratio was the same as the extinction ratio?
Also, I was curious because I thought 100:1 would be a lot, and not much light would actually get past the polarizer. It still ended up relatively bright though, even after rotating the polarizer, so I also wasn't sure why that happened?
The diode laser I used was pretty weak (1mW I think), so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it, or if it was maybe just that my polarizer was inefficient.
Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Cheesycheese213 said:
I was trying to research about polarizing lasers for an experiment, and there were some things that were confusing?
I was wondering if the polarization ratio was the same as the extinction ratio?

Kinda-sorta. The terms mean the same thing (ratio between two orthogonal states), but 'extinction ratio' is used for devices that either absorb or otherwise block transmission of one polarization state.

Cheesycheese213 said:
Also, I was curious because I thought 100:1 would be a lot, and not much light would actually get past the polarizer. It still ended up relatively bright though, even after rotating the polarizer, so I also wasn't sure why that happened?

Because a 100:1 ratio is not very much, although fairly typical for laser sources. 'Good' polarizers have extinction ratios closer to 10^6:1.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is polarization ratio?

Polarization ratio refers to the ratio of the intensity of polarized light to the intensity of unpolarized light in a given sample or medium. It is a measure of the degree of polarization of light and is often used in various scientific and technological applications.

2. How is polarization ratio measured?

Polarization ratio is typically measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that can analyze the polarization state of light. This can be done by passing the light through polarizing filters or by using specialized detectors that can measure the intensity of polarized light.

3. What factors can affect the polarization ratio?

The polarization ratio can be affected by various factors such as the angle of incidence of the light, the properties of the medium the light is passing through, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the presence of any birefringent materials in the medium can also affect the polarization ratio.

4. Why is polarization ratio important in scientific research?

Polarization ratio is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the physical and chemical properties of a sample or medium. It is also used in various fields such as optics, materials science, and remote sensing to study and analyze different materials and phenomena.

5. How can polarization ratio be used in practical applications?

Polarization ratio has many practical applications, such as in polarized sunglasses to reduce glare, in liquid crystal displays to manipulate light, and in remote sensing techniques to study the Earth's surface. It is also used in the medical field for imaging techniques such as polarized light microscopy to study biological samples.