What is the meaning of the (A x B) when talking about CDWs?

In summary, the "AxB" notation typically refers to the periodic modulation of the electron density or charge density in a material, resulting in a spatially varying charge distribution. The "AxB" notation represents the periodicity of the CDW modulation along two perpendicular crystal lattice directions. For example, in the case of a "2x2" CDW, the modulation pattern repeats every 2 lattice units along one crystallographic axis (A direction) and every 2 lattice units along another perpendicular axis (B direction). This means that the CDW creates a superlattice with a periodicity of 2 lattice units in both the A and B directions. The CDW modulation pattern or superlattice structure can have different periodic
kevmeister
TL;DR Summary
For example the 2x2 CDW, 3x3 CDW, etc.
It seems to me like this is one of those things that is so trivial that no one ever explains it.
What is the A x B labeling referring to when discussing charge density waves? For example the 2x2 CDW structure in TiTe2 (link). Is it

I have searched through a fair amount of literature (from Grüner to more recent experimental studies) and it doesn't seem to be explained anywhere that I've looked. I'm probably way overthinking it but just wanted some clarification.
Maybe this post will come up in a google search for some future physicists when they have the same question!

Physics news on Phys.org
New PF user has been reminded that AI chatbots are not valid references in the technical forums.
I may have just answered this via chatGPT:

The "AxB" notation in the context of charge density waves (CDWs) typically refers to the modulation pattern or superlattice structure formed by the CDW in a crystalline material. In CDWs, there is a periodic modulation of the electron density or charge density in a material, resulting in a spatially varying charge distribution.

The "AxB" notation represents the periodicity of the CDW modulation along two perpendicular crystal lattice directions. The "A" and "B" refer to the periodicity of the modulation along the respective crystallographic axes. For example, in the case of a "2x2" CDW, the modulation pattern repeats every 2 lattice units along one crystallographic axis (A direction) and every 2 lattice units along another perpendicular axis (B direction). This means that the CDW creates a superlattice with a periodicity of 2 lattice units in both the A and B directions.

The CDW modulation pattern or superlattice structure can have different periodicities depending on the material and the underlying crystal structure. The "AxB" notation is commonly used to describe the spatial arrangement of the CDW modulation and provides important information about the CDW properties and behavior in a given material.

So, it's basically however many latice vectors make up one side of the CDW "lattice", i.e., superlattice?

• Skeptical
Likes TeethWhitener and Motore
Yes, the notation is superlattice notation. CDW's generally cause a periodic distortion in the lattice such that the unit cell needs to be enlarged. For a 2x2 superlattice, the new unit cell including the CDW is 2 of the old unit cells in each dimension (note that AxB implies a 2D material. A 3D CDW superlattice would be notated AxBxC).

I'd be wary of using ChatGPT to "answer" questions like this right now. It's really just a super duper autocomplete. It got the answer mostly right this time, or at least it seems that you were able to divine the right answer from it, but even so, note that it still makes a subtle mistake: the lattice directions don't have to be perpendicular (e.g., a hexagonal lattice). They only have to be linearly independent.

• Informative
Likes kevmeister and berkeman
Thanks for the reply! When this label is present does that automatically signify that the CDW is commensurate with the underlying lattice, i.e., modulated by an integer multiple of lattice vectors?

Sidenote:
I also caught the subtleties in the GPT response, definitely far from perfect! It's pretty obvious when my students use it for HWs. I mainly use it to get started on a code.

What is the meaning of the (A x B) when talking about CDWs?

The (A x B) in the context of CDWs refers to the cross product of two vectors, A and B. This mathematical operation results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both A and B, and its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of A and B multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

Why is the (A x B) important in understanding CDWs?

The (A x B) is important in understanding CDWs because it represents the direction and magnitude of the charge density wave vector. This vector is crucial in understanding the behavior of CDWs and their interactions with other particles and fields.

How is the (A x B) calculated in the context of CDWs?

The (A x B) is calculated using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the resulting vector is determined by curling the fingers of the right hand from A to B, and the thumb points in the direction of the (A x B) vector. The magnitude is then calculated using the formula mentioned in the first question.

What is the relationship between the (A x B) and the CDW wave vector?

The (A x B) is equal to the CDW wave vector multiplied by a constant factor. This means that the direction and magnitude of the (A x B) vector will also determine the direction and magnitude of the CDW wave vector.

Are there any other applications of the (A x B) in science?

Yes, the (A x B) has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in calculating magnetic fields, torque, and angular momentum in mechanics, as well as in determining the direction and magnitude of electric fields and magnetic moments in electromagnetism.