What is the metallic circular component in this voltage sensor?

In summary: I think they were called pin straighters. I remember my mom using them to remove the oxidation from the connectors on TVs and radios. It was a handy little tool. The device pictured looks like a flux capacitor - a type of electrical transformer. The board is designed to handle a lot of electricity.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
While searching for something else, I stumbled upon this https://robu.in/product/voltage-sensor-module/. It is idiotic to buy something like this, because a voltage divider doesn't cost more than a few cents. But what is the metallic circular component in the middle of the sensor? Some kind of heat shield?

1589559397788.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer, but my guess would be it's a mounting hole.

I would vote it is a "Feature Item, " a useless doodad added to make the purchaser believe they have an exotic item. (Think chrome trim on a car, or the pattern on your dinner plate.)

Likes DaveE and Wrichik Basu
It looks like a waste of gold plating to me. But I wasn't ever much inclined to think like the sales and marketing types. For a product like this, that sort of "feature" could double sales.

DaveE said:
It looks like a waste of gold plating to me. But I wasn't ever much inclined to think like the sales and marketing types. For a product like this, that sort of "feature" could double sales.
This is Chinese product. The Chinese PCB with gold plating and panelizing costs for maker $0.17, terminal block $0.04, other components - $0.03. Plus $0.5 for Chinese goventment subsidized shipping. Total material&shipping cost is $0.74, and catalog price linked here is $1.3, which looks reasonable. Without over-engineered gold-plated mounting hole the material&shipping cost for maker will be down to $0.65 though. My guess is what "voltage sensor" was fabricated on same breakable board as another small production volume PCB which actually do need gold plating, therefore gold plating of "voltage sensor" become essentially "free" for maker. Or maker decided what 15% lower price margin will pay off due higher selling volume of expensive-looking part.

Likes DaveE
Gold plating can be made very thin - it looks good but doesn't survive mounting/plugging - any mechanical action will destroy it.

The circular device design reminds me of pin straighteners ubiquitous on common vacuum tube testers and devices in my childhood. One would insert the tube in the device to straighten bent pins but also to remove oxidation from the connectors before running tests or replacing tubes. Many/most television and radio chassis would include a pin straightener for convenience, matched to the vacuum tubes in the unit.

Brass was not uncommon but I never saw gold plating used on what was essentially a mechanical device. Bit of memorial day nostalgia.

Looks like a "flux capacitor" to me...is that board rated for gigawatts?

There used to be tube testers at the drug store if my memory serves...

• Haha
Likes Klystron

1. What is the purpose of the metallic circular component in this voltage sensor?

The metallic circular component in this voltage sensor is called a "magnetic core" and it is responsible for converting the voltage signal into a magnetic field that can be measured by the sensor. This allows the sensor to accurately detect changes in voltage and provide readings.

2. How does the metallic circular component affect the accuracy of the voltage sensor?

The metallic circular component, also known as the magnetic core, plays a crucial role in the accuracy of the voltage sensor. It ensures that the voltage signal is converted into a magnetic field without any interference or loss of data, resulting in more precise readings.

3. Is the metallic circular component necessary for the voltage sensor to function?

Yes, the metallic circular component is essential for the voltage sensor to function properly. Without it, the sensor would not be able to convert the voltage signal into a measurable magnetic field, rendering it useless.

4. Can the metallic circular component be replaced with a different material?

While it is possible to use different materials for the metallic circular component, it is not recommended. The material used for the magnetic core is specifically chosen for its magnetic properties and its ability to accurately convert the voltage signal into a magnetic field. Replacing it with a different material may result in inaccurate readings.

5. How does the size of the metallic circular component affect the voltage sensor?

The size of the metallic circular component, or magnetic core, can impact the sensitivity and range of the voltage sensor. A larger core may result in a more sensitive sensor, while a smaller core may limit the range of the sensor. The size of the core is carefully chosen to optimize the performance of the voltage sensor.