What is the minimum length chord of a circle passing through a specific point?

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of p^{2013}+q^{2013} given that px+qy=40 is a chord of minimum length of the circle (x-10)^2 + (y-20)^2 = 729 and passes through the point (5,15). The solution involves using Lagrange Multipliers and determining the values of p and q, which can be solved using geometry by finding the minimum length chord perpendicular to the line connecting the centre of the circle and the given point.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

px+qy=40 is a chord of minimum length of the circle [itex](x-10)^2 + (y-20)^2 = 729 [/itex]. If the chord passes through (5,15), then [itex]p^{2013}+q^{2013}[/itex] is equal to

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let chord length be L

[itex]\frac{L}{2} = 729- \dfrac{(10p+20q-40)^2}{p^2+q^2} [/itex]

Also
5p+15q-40=0

Now if I apply Lagrange's Multiplier Method using above two conditions I get some weird value of q which is a huge fraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to be using a Lagrange Multiplier here.
Although it's not expressed clearly, it must be that the chord has the minimum length of all those passing through the given point. Isn't the implication clear from the geometry? Or was this given as an exercise in using Lagrange Multipliers?

haruspex said:
I don't think you need to be using a Lagrange Multiplier here.
Although it's not expressed clearly, it must be that the chord has the minimum length of all those passing through the given point. Isn't the implication clear from the geometry? Or was this given as an exercise in using Lagrange Multipliers?

From geometry I can see that minimum length will occur if the given line is parallel to Y-axis. So q=0 and p=8. The answer should then be 2^6039. But this does not match any of the options given.

utkarshakash said:
From geometry I can see that minimum length will occur if the given line is parallel to Y-axis.

No, that's not correct. The minimum length would be a line parallel to the y-axis only if the point that the line passes through has a y value equal to that of the y value for the centre of the circle. That is, since the circle has centre at (10,20) then only lines that must pass through points on y=20 would be parallel to the y-axis to give a minimum length chord.

The minimum length chord passing through a point P is perpendicular to the line OP where O is the centre of the circle.

What is a chord of minimum length?

A chord of minimum length is a line segment that connects two points on a circle and has the shortest possible length compared to all other chords between those two points.

How is the length of a chord of minimum length calculated?

The length of a chord of minimum length can be calculated using the formula L = 2r sin(θ/2), where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle subtended by the chord.

What is the significance of a chord of minimum length?

A chord of minimum length has a special significance in geometry as it is the shortest possible distance between two points on a circle. It also has various applications in other fields such as engineering and physics.

Can there be more than one chord of minimum length between two points on a circle?

No, there can only be one chord of minimum length between two points on a circle. This is because the shortest distance between two points is always a straight line, and any other chord between those two points would be longer than the minimum length chord.

Can a chord of minimum length be a diameter of a circle?

Yes, a chord of minimum length can be a diameter of a circle as the diameter is the longest possible chord of a circle and can also be considered as the minimum length chord between two points on the circle's circumference.