What is the minimum value for x in this triangle with angle bisectors AD and BD?

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum integer value of $x$ in a diagram where $AD$ and $BD$ are angle bisectors and $B$ and $D$ are fixed points. After considering the relationship between the angles and the sides of the triangle, it can be determined that the smallest possible value for $x$ is $16$.
ketanco
Hello,

In the attached, what is the minimum integer value x can take?

AD and BD are angle bisectors

the answer is 16 - but i do not know how they did it

I am totally stuck, could not think of anything here. The angle bisector formula I know does not fit hereView attachment 8569

Attachments

• 20181106_183308.jpg
    20181106_183308.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 46
Mathematics news on Phys.org
View attachment 8570

Here is an intuitive idea of what this question is about. It's up to you to express it mathematically!

Suppose we keep $B$ and $D$ fixed, and imagine what happens as we try to reduce $x$ by rotating the line $AD$ around $D$, as indicated in the diagram. As the angles at $A$ and $B$ increase, $C$ will be pushed further and further away from $D$.

If the obtuse angle $ADB$ is reduced to a right angle, then (by Pythagoras) $x$ will have been reduced to $15$. But in that case, the angles $DAB$ and $DBA$ will add up to $90^\circ$. So the angles $CAB$ and $CBA$ will add up to $180^\circ$. In other words, $AC$ will be parallel to $BC$ (or to put it another way $C$ will have gone off to infinity). In that case, $ABC$ will no longer be a triangle.

The conclusion from that is that $x$ cannot be reduced to $15$. So the smallest integer value that it can take must be $16$.

Attachments

• triangle.jpg
    triangle.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 49

Related to What is the minimum value for x in this triangle with angle bisectors AD and BD?

1. What is the relationship between triangle length and angles?

The length of a triangle's sides and the measure of its angles are directly related. As the length of one side increases, the measure of the opposite angle also increases. Similarly, as the measure of one angle increases, the length of the opposite side also increases. This relationship is known as the Law of Sines.

2. How can I find the length of a triangle's sides if I know the angles?

To find the length of a triangle's sides, you can use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines. These are mathematical formulas that relate the lengths of the sides to the measures of the angles. You will need to know at least one side length and its opposite angle to use these formulas.

3. Can a triangle have sides of different lengths but the same angles?

Yes, a triangle can have sides of different lengths but the same angles. This is known as a similar triangle. Similar triangles have the same shape and angles, but their sides are proportional in length. This means that you can multiply the length of one side by a constant factor to get the length of the corresponding side in the other triangle.

4. How does the Pythagorean Theorem relate to triangle length and angles?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is useful for finding missing side lengths in right triangles, as well as for determining if a triangle is a right triangle.

5. How can I use triangle length and angles in real-world applications?

Triangle length and angles are used in many real-world applications, such as surveying, architecture, and navigation. They are also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, surveyors use triangle trigonometry to measure distances and heights, and architects use it to design and build structures. In navigation, triangle trigonometry is used to calculate distances and angles between points on a map or in the ocean.