What is the Moment Produced by a Perpendicular Force on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the moment produced by a force acting perpendicular to an inclined plane and its x, y, z components. The conversation also includes the use of the cross product and a unit vector to calculate the force vector and the definition of a moment vector in terms of the force and radius vectors. After multiple attempts and some confusion, the correct answer of 864.44i + 582.997j - 1593.75k N*m is obtained.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

hibb4-48.gif

Force F acts perpendicular to the inclined plane ABC. Assume x0 = 2.32 m, y0 = 3.44 m, z0 = 2.94 m, and F = 459 N.
Determine the moment produced by F about point B; What are the x,y,z component.

Homework Equations

Cross Product

The Attempt at a Solution

A (0,0,2.94)
B (2.32,0,0)
C (0, 3.44,0)

rac = 3.44j -2.94k
rbc = -2.32i + 3.44j
rac x rbc = {10.1136,6.8208, 7.9808}

uf = [rab x rbc]/[magnitude]={0.693785,0.467901,0.547477}
F=459*uf = {318.545, 214.832, 251.112}
mb = rbc * F = {864.44, 582.997, -1593.75}

I am wrong. It has been hours. Any help would be great

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of a moment vector in terms of the force vector and the radius vector?

Sorry can you explain further
thank you

Can someone spot out what I did wrong?

The Rab and Rbc vectors are right, and so is their cross product, as well as the unit vector in the direction of the force. But I got 318.447i + 214.766j + 251.292k for the force vector. Oddly enough, I got the same moment though. Is the x, y, and z components at the end supposed to be the answer?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Shouldn't the moment be rbc x F?

Likes 1 person
Yeah that's what i did but I'm always wrong

And yes gildomar, the answer is the components

Wow, nevermind. I actually got it right.. I just kept on putting N instead of N*m... I am never taking physics again.

thanks anyway

1. What is the definition of "component of force"?

The component of force refers to the individual forces acting on an object that make up the total force acting on that object. These components can be in different directions and are often represented by vectors.

2. How do you find the components of force?

The components of force can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to break down a force vector into its horizontal and vertical components.

3. Why is it important to find the components of force?

Finding the components of force can help in understanding the overall forces acting on an object and how those forces are affecting its motion. It also allows for more accurate calculations and predictions of the object's movement.

4. Can the components of force be negative?

Yes, the components of force can be negative. Negative components indicate that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. This can be useful in determining the net force on an object.

5. How do the components of force affect an object's motion?

The components of force determine the overall force acting on an object and can affect its acceleration and direction of movement. If the components of force are balanced, the object will have no net force and will not accelerate. If the components of force are unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.