What is the more appropriate method to solve for the limit in this scenario?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Umar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the appropriate way to solve an indeterminate form involving infinity to the power of 0. The speaker suggests using L'Hospital's Rule to transform the form into \frac{\infty}{\infty} and then applying the rule to solve for the limit. The final answer is 1.
Umar
I've got another limit question here, but I don't suppose you use the same method as last time for sure (rational).

View attachment 6190

I essentially got (infinity)^0 and just assumed that to be equal to 1 which made sense to me. However, in my textbook and notes, (infinity) to the power of 0 is one type of an indeterminate form. Is there a more appropriate way to sovle this? Perhaps L'Hospital's Rule, although I tried it and get the answer to be 0 instead.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 11.07.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 11.07.08 PM.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
I would write:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{x\to\frac{\pi}{2}^{-}}\left(\left(\tan(x)\right)^{\cos(x)}\right)\)

Take the natural log of both sides, and apply log properties:

\(\displaystyle \ln(L)=\lim_{x\to\frac{\pi}{2}^{-}}\left(\cos(x)\ln\left(\tan(x)\right)\right)\)

This is indeed the indeterminate form $0\cdot\infty$, so let's transform it as follows:

\(\displaystyle \ln(L)=\lim_{x\to\frac{\pi}{2}^{-}}\left(\frac{\ln\left(\tan(x)\right)}{\sec(x)}\right)\)

Now, we have the indeterminate form \(\displaystyle \frac{\infty}{\infty}\), and we may apply L'Hôpital's Rule:

\(\displaystyle \ln(L)=\lim_{x\to\frac{\pi}{2}^{-}}\left(\frac{\dfrac{\sec^2(x)}{\tan(x)}}{\sec(x)\tan(x)}\right)=\lim_{x\to\frac{\pi}{2}^{-}}\left(\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin^2(x)}\right)=\frac{0}{1^2}=0\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle L=e^0=1\)

What is the concept of finding the limit again?

Finding the limit again refers to the process of determining the value that a function approaches as its input variable approaches a specific value. This concept is often used in calculus and is important in understanding the behavior of functions.

Why is finding the limit again important?

Finding the limit again is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions, such as their continuity and differentiability. It also allows us to solve more complex mathematical problems and make predictions about the behavior of a function.

What are the different methods for finding the limit again?

There are several methods for finding the limit again, including algebraic manipulation, graphing, and using limits laws and theorems. These methods can help simplify the process and make it easier to determine the limit.

When is finding the limit again not possible?

Finding the limit again may not be possible if the function is discontinuous or if the limit is infinite. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used to determine the behavior of the function.

How can finding the limit again be applied in real life?

Finding the limit again can be applied in real life situations such as determining the maximum capacity of a container, predicting population growth or decay, and analyzing the behavior of financial investments. It is a useful tool for making predictions and understanding patterns in various systems.