What is the most effective nozzle size and water speed for maximum thrust?

user079622
Homework Statement
Stuck with thrust
Relevant Equations
m(dot)=r x v x A
Water jet comes from nozzle A=1m2, water speed is v=20m/s, density of water 1000km/m3, calculate thrust
Is it possible to find thrust from this data?

T=mass flow x v ?
= 20m/s x 1m2 x1000kg/m3 x 20m/s= 400 000N ?

Is more effective to use bigger nozzle A and slower water speed then use small nozzle with high water speed and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
user079622 said:
T=mass flow x v ?
= 20m/s x 1m2 x1000kg/m3 x 20m/s= 400 000N ?
Yes.
user079622 said:
Is more effective to use bigger nozzle A and slower water speed then use small nozzle with high water speed and why?
It depends how effectiveness is defined.
Please state the whole question exactly as given to you.

haruspex said:
Yes.
How, if this is equation for thrust?https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/rockth.html
haruspex said:
It depends how effectiveness is defined.
Please state the whole question exactly as given to you.
To produce same thrust which engine use less power..

user079622 said:
How, if this is equation for thrust?

The water jet expands to atmospheric pressure almost immediately after exiting the nozzle independent of nozzle geometry. The flow is virtually incompressible. This is different from the compressible gas flow exiting a chemical rocket.

Last edited:
erobz said:
The water jet expands to atmospheric pressure almost immediately after exiting the nozzle independent of nozzle geometry. The flow is virtually incompressible. This is different from the compressible gas flow exiting a chemical rocket.

Why rocket dont have atmospheric pressure as well immediately after exiting the nozzle
?

Last edited:
@haruspex

How F= mass flow x v is derived?

user079622 said:
Why rocket dont have atmospheric pressure as well immediately after exiting the nozzle
?
Read the paper I linked in your other thread. Consider taking a course in Fluid Mechanics, and Thermodynamics. They are both required to understand the surrounding problem.

user079622 said:
How, if this is equation for thrust?
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/rockth.html
It is to do with compressibility. In the model used there, the exit pressure continues to accelerate the exhaust, making the effective exit velocity higher than that directly measured. Water being incompressible, there is no residual excess pressure.
user079622 said:
How F= mass flow x v is derived?
In time dt you are accelerating a mass ##\dot m.dt## from 0 to v. What is the change in its momentum? What rate of change of momentum does that imply?
user079622 said:
To produce same thrust which engine use less power..
Ok, so what is the formula for the power consumption?

haruspex said:
It is to do with compressibility. In the model used there, the exit pressure continues to accelerate the exhaust, making the effective exit velocity higher than that directly measured. Water being incompressible, there is no residual excess pressure.

In time dt you are accelerating a mass ##\dot m.dt## from 0 to v. What is the change in its momentum? What rate of change of momentum does that imply?

Ok, so what is the formula for the power consumption?
Kinetic energy = 1/2 m v^2

instead m I will use mass flow (A density v)

P= 1/2 A density v^3

If I double A, I need double power, if double v I need 3times power, so it is more effective to increase nozzle A then velocity of fluid?

user079622 said:
Kinetic energy = 1/2 m v^2

instead m I will use mass flow (A density v)

P= 1/2 A density v^3

If I double A, I need double power, if double v I need 3times power, so it is more effective to increase nozzle A then velocity of fluid?
3 times?
To complete the comparison, you need to arrange that the thrust achieved is the same. I.e., for a given thrust, does increasing the area increase or reduce the power?

haruspex said:
3 times?
To complete the comparison, you need to arrange that the thrust achieved is the same. I.e., for a given thrust, does increasing the area increase or reduce the power?
My mistake 2^3=8 , 8xtimes

For same thurst I get smaller power using bigger nozzle A.

user079622 said:
My mistake 2^3=8 , 8xtimes

For same thurst I get smaller power using bigger nozzle A.
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.
I find this by plug in numbers in equtions, can I find this conclusions without using numbers?

user079622 said:
I find this by plug in numbers in equtions, can I find this conclusions without using numbers?
Sure. Write the equation for power as a function either of thrust and area or of thrust and velocity, instead of a function of area, velocity and density.

haruspex said:
Sure. Write the equation for power as a function either of thrust and area or of thrust and velocity, instead of a function of area, velocity and density.
P=1/2 T v is this equation for power as a function of thrust and velocity?

A is inside T so how can I write that?

The question asks for the "thrust." The thrust of what on what?

user079622 said:
P=1/2 T v is this equation for power as a function of thrust and velocity?
Ok, so for a given thrust, increasing v increases power. You can also write P as a function of T and A and show that increasing area reduces power.
That answers the question.

haruspex said:
Ok, so for a given thrust, increasing v increases power. You can also write P as a function of T and A and show that increasing area reduces power.
That answers the question.
How do you get A in denominator?

user079622 said:
How do you get A in denominator?
In post #1 you used ##T=A\rho v^2##, and in post #15 an equation relating P, T, v. Combine them to eliminate v.

haruspex said:
In post #1 you used ##T=A\rho v^2##, and in post #15 an equation relating P, T, v. Combine them to eliminate v.
How I can eliminate v if one equaiton has v^2 and second just v, an odd number of v

user079622 said:
How I can eliminate v if one equaiton has v^2 and second just v, an odd number of v
You have for the power:

$$ P = \frac{1}{2}T v \tag{1} $$

And you have for the Thrust ##T##:

$$ T = \rho A v^2 \tag{2}$$

Solve ##(2)## for ##v##. Sub into ##(1)##.

user079622 said:
So square both sides of the one with just v.☺️

Likes erobz
erobz said:
You have for the power:

$$ P = \frac{1}{2}T v \tag{1} $$

And you have for the Thrust ##T##:

$$ T = \rho A v^2 \tag{2}$$

Solve ##(2)## for ##v##. Sub into ##(1)##.
Then I get P = √ (1/4 T^3/rho A)

Why I get P=1/2 T v if P = F v ?

user079622 said:
Why I get P=1/2 T v if P = F v ?
If a force F acts on an object for time dt in the direction in which it is moving with velocity v then the power it exerts over that time is Fv. The work it does is therefore Fvdt.
The power pushing the jet out is not doing that. In time dt it accelerates a mass ##\dot m.dt## from 0 to v, doing work ##\frac 12 \dot m v^2 dt##, so ##P=\frac 12 \dot m v^2=\frac 12 T v##.
It's like the difference between final velocity and average velocity.

haruspex said:
If a force F acts on an object for time dt in the direction in which it is moving with velocity v then the power it exerts over that time is Fv. The work it does is therefore Fvdt.
The power pushing the jet out is not doing that. In time dt it accelerates a mass ##\dot m.dt## from 0 to v, doing work ##\frac 12 \dot m v^2 dt##, so ##P=\frac 12 \dot m v^2=\frac 12 T v##.
It's like the difference between final velocity and average velocity.
So acceleration of water particles give us thrust, not velocity of particles..that make sense because f=m a

user079622 said:
So acceleration of water particles give us thrust, not velocity of particles..that make sense because f=m a
No, I didn't say that.
P=Fv is an instantaneous relationship. Over time, ##\int P.dt=\int F.v.dt##.
The power producing the water jet accelerates the water from stationary, so the average velocity for the force it exerts is only v/2.

P = √ (1/4 T^3/rho A)

Did I calculate OK?

user079622 said:
P = √ (1/4 T^3/rho A)

Did I calculate OK?
Yes (but you ought to put parentheses around the rho A to make it clear you are dividing by both).

Likes user079622
haruspex said:
Yes (but you ought to put parentheses around the rho A to make it clear you are dividing by both).
P = √ (1/4 T^3/(rho A))

Likes haruspex

What is the most effective nozzle size for maximum thrust?

The most effective nozzle size for maximum thrust depends on various factors such as the flow rate of the water, the pressure of the water, and the desired thrust. In general, a larger nozzle size can allow for more water flow, resulting in higher thrust. However, the nozzle size must be balanced with other factors to achieve the optimal thrust.

What is the most effective water speed for maximum thrust?

The most effective water speed for maximum thrust also depends on several factors including the design of the nozzle, the pressure of the water, and the desired thrust. In most cases, a higher water speed can result in higher thrust. However, the water speed must be carefully controlled to avoid excessive turbulence or cavitation, which can reduce thrust.

How do nozzle size and water speed affect thrust?

Nozzle size and water speed directly affect thrust by determining the amount and velocity of water being expelled from the nozzle. A larger nozzle size or higher water speed can increase thrust by pushing more water with greater force. However, there is a limit to how much these factors can be increased before diminishing returns are observed.

What are the trade-offs of using a larger nozzle size for maximum thrust?

Using a larger nozzle size for maximum thrust can provide higher thrust due to increased water flow. However, there are trade-offs to consider such as increased power requirements, potential loss of efficiency, and higher operating costs. It is important to consider these factors when determining the optimal nozzle size for a specific application.

How can the most effective nozzle size and water speed be determined for a specific application?

The most effective nozzle size and water speed for a specific application can be determined through experimentation and testing. By varying the nozzle size, water speed, and other parameters, the optimal combination for maximum thrust can be identified. Computer simulations and modeling can also be used to predict the performance of different configurations before actual testing is conducted.