What is the Mystery Opamp in this Vintage Equipment?

• Thread starter JohnNNN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opamp
In summary: We still do not have a functional description or picture of that PCB. Without a date code from some other component we are out of clues.
JohnNNN
Hi, pals! I'm in process of restoring vintage equipment. And I was failed to identify one of the operational amplifiers.
Does anyone have any idea what kind of animal this is? This is link to opamp photo: https://postimg.cc/HVZ2hjRm

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, John. :smile:

That's a strange photo. Did you add the orange lettering to enhance the photo to make it more readable? If not, it looks like the component has been "black topped" and re-labeled (note how the pin-1 mark misregisters between the orange marking and the injection molded mark).

What year is this PCBA probably from? Paging @davenn and @Baluncore for their expertise...

Edit/Add -- what exactly is this piece of vintage equipment? Have you had any luck at all trying to find the schematics? I'm guessing probably not... Have you been able to trace most of the circuit to decide that this is an opamp? Have you tested the circuit powered-up (hopefully using an Isolation Transformer if it is AC Mains powered) and been able to measure the DC and AC voltages at this component's pins?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF, John. :smile:

That's a strange photo. Did you add the orange lettering to enhance the photo to make it more readable? If not, it looks like the component has been "black topped" and re-labeled (note how the pin-1 mark misregisters between the orange marking and the injection molded mark).

What year is this PCBA probably from? Paging @davenn and @Baluncore for their expertise...
I just did a Google search and got this TI page:
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/t...28778&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

• Informative
  • Love
Likes davenn and berkeman
Wow, thanks Don. Sorry I paged the wrong @d____ !

I have trouble keeping meteroids and earthquakes and vintage equipment expertise straight in my tiny little brain! o0)

• Haha
Likes davenn, Klystron and dlgoff
berkeman said:
... my tiny little brain!
Now, I know that's wrong!

Likes davenn and berkeman
My guess would be the late 1970s. The chip was poorly stamped.
I think the partial trademark 'D' with the internal dot, will be a big clue.
But I can't yet find my old list of (TM) symbols from the industry.

Maybe 00318 is a military manufacturer prefix, with product as -029.
As a second or third source, there may have been very few made.
Search in the JEDEC equivalent lists?

Likes hutchphd, DaveE and dlgoff
Baluncore said:
My guess would be the late 1970s. The chip was poorly stamped.
I think the partial trademark 'D' with the internal dot, will be a big clue.
But I can't yet find my old list of (TM) symbols from the industry.

Maybe 00318 is a military manufacturer prefix, with product as -029.
As a second or third source, there may have been very few made.
Search in the JEDEC equivalent lists?
Yes. This is likely the correct approach.

Also, large equipment manufacturers will have their own part numbers assigned and have the suppliers label them as such. HP, for example, nearly always did this (although this one doesn't fit the HP format). If you can find a cross-reference list, maybe JEDEC (Mil parts) or from the OEM, you will likely find it is actually a common part.

Sorry, I don't recognize the manufacturer graphic on it. It's not one of the big US companies.

Who was the OEM for this PCBA?

DaveE said:
Nope. We're looking for something in a DIP-8, this has way too many pins. It's likely too new also (2016).
Dang, You're right. Sorry about that. So the one @hutchphd posted in post #6 above is the right one?
https://www.ti.com/product/LM318-N

Likes hutchphd
dlgoff said:
Dang, You're right. Sorry about that. So the one @hutchphd posted in post #6 above is the right one?
https://www.ti.com/product/LM318-N
Well, I wouldn't assume that. But if you put a gun to my head and no time to research, that would be my guess. I'd sketch out the circuit it's in first and try to guess the application/function. For example, is it one amp or two, etc. ?

Likes dlgoff and hutchphd
A 318 is a fairly fast opamp. I have to wonder if there would be a good reason to have something that fast in the equipment that it is in.

Likes DaveE
Averagesupernova said:
A 318 is a fairly fast opamp. I have to wonder if there would be a good reason to have something that fast in the equipment that it is in.
The 318 would have had LM in front of it's number if it was the fast bipolar amp. LM stands for Linear Monolithic.

We still do not have a functional description or picture of that PCB. Without a date code from some other component we are out of clues.
Was it US Govt, British or a European design?

Baluncore said:
The 318 would have had LM in front of it's number if it was the fast bipolar amp. LM stands for Linear Monolithic.

We still do not have a functional description or picture of that PCB. Without a date code from some other component we are out of clues.
Was it US Govt, British or a European design?
Do we even know it's an opamp...

Averagesupernova said:
Do we even know it's an opamp...
The layout of tracks on the component side of the PCB are the standard op-amp supply lines. That was an optimal manual routing technique that held power on the component side, signals on the solder side, and used components or wire links to cross tracks.

There was a 5 digit military part number system known as 'MIL-M-38510' with a date sequential numbering system. Many of the early parts have 00xxx format numbers, but I found no reference to 00318 in the year 1977. M38510 was then used for linear chips by AMD, Fairchild, Intersil, NSC, Dignetics and TI.
The dotted 'D' icon that looks like an OR gate is not a TM for any of them, so there must be another manufacturer and military M38510 tester of those chips.
I would next look for a full part number "M38510/00318" and convert that through a mid-1970s list, from the military to a commercial part number.

It would be nice to have some information from outside that square inch.

Baluncore said:
It would be nice to have some information from outside that square inch.
Given the high level of participation in this thread by the OP @JohnNNN that may be hard for us to get... :wink:

Likes Averagesupernova, dlgoff and DaveE
berkeman said:
Given the high level of participation in this thread by the OP @JohnNNN that may be hard for us to get... :wink:
You mean PF helps those who help themselves? I think I'm done.

PS: Wait, I'm not implying I think we're god.

prudent-george-w-bush.gif

But I have forsaken him.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Likes hutchphd and dlgoff
Oh c'mon. Let's all have some fun and say we've got it completely figured out and when asked what it is just say: Sorry, not tell'n.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff

1. What is an opamp and what is its function?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component used to amplify and process signals in various circuits. It is commonly used in analog circuits to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and integration.

2. How can I identify an old opamp?

To identify an old opamp, you can look for the manufacturer's logo, part number, and date code on the component. You can also refer to the datasheet or use a multimeter to test the functionality of the opamp.

3. What are the common types of opamps used in old circuits?

The most common types of opamps used in old circuits are the 741, 358, and 4558. These are all bipolar junction transistor (BJT) opamps and were widely used in the 1970s and 1980s.

4. Can I replace an old opamp with a modern one?

In most cases, yes, you can replace an old opamp with a modern one as long as the specifications and pinout are the same. However, it is important to note that some old opamps may have unique characteristics that cannot be replicated by modern opamps.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when handling old opamps?

Yes, it is important to handle old opamps with caution as they may contain hazardous materials such as lead and mercury. It is recommended to wear gloves and avoid inhaling any dust or particles from the opamp. Proper disposal of old opamps is also important to prevent environmental contamination.