What is the name of this field of science please?

In summary, the conversation discusses a field of science that looks at the self-similarity and scaling of structures in nature, including the relationship between the size and function of things like blood vessels. This field has been linked to concepts such as chaos, fractals, and allometry. Some suggested names for this field include scale invariance, self-similarity, allometric scaling, and numerology. The book "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Gleick is also mentioned as a source of information on this topic.
Jamesgough007
Hi,

I'm sorry if this isn't explained very well, but I'm hoping someone can remind me of this field of what I think was maths or physics.

I read that people had calculated that things in nature like the amount of blood in our bodies and the length of all the arteries and capillaries for instance. correspond to the equivalent on a larger sale - the veins equal the length of roads in a city or the rivers in the world. And the amount of blood on a larger scale equals the amount of water in the rivers. That we have heartbeats and the cities have heart beats but only two a day which is rush hour and more recently, NASA has released videos of what they call the Earth breathing as it goes through the seasons in the year.

This can then be taken further to include the solar system and universe.

I remember that some clever people had calculated the maths for this and it seemed to be demonstrated in many areas of nature.

Can anyone tell me what that is called and point me to a page.

You'll see by my description so far that the mighty Google might fail in serving me the correct links with this one. But then I couldn't really blame it.

Thanks,

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Similitude ?

Last edited:
Thanks, but none of those are the exact field I'm referring to.

No, not fractals, sorry, but thanks for posting.

Jamesgough007 said:
I read that people had calculated that things in nature like the amount of blood in our bodies and the length of all the arteries and capillaries for instance. correspond to the equivalent on a larger sale - the veins equal the length of roads in a city or the rivers in the world. And the amount of blood on a larger scale equals the amount of water in the rivers. That we have heartbeats and the cities have heart beats but only two a day which is rush hour and more recently, NASA has released videos of what they call the Earth breathing as it goes through the seasons in the year.

This can then be taken further to include the solar system and universe.
Numerology?

Pseudoscience?

Likes DrMCoeus, phinds, davenn and 2 others
berkeman said:
Numerology?

Pseudoscience?

Guffaw!

Perhaps you mean:
biological scaling
or
allometric scaling
Among other things, these compare sizes and function of things like blood vessels.

Likes lekh2003
Self affinity?
Some of the things you've listed are discussed in the book, "Chaos: Making a New Science," by James Gleick. In it he talks about self similarity of various structures, such as the branches of rivers, the bronchial structure of lungs, the arteries and veins in animals, veins in plant leaves, and the shapes of coastlines at different scales. He also makes a distinction between chaotic systems versus random behavior.

He also discusses things with fractional dimension (Benoit Mandelbrot coined the term "fractal" out of this), such as Koch snowflake, Sierpinski sponge, and others.

I think the name of this Science is Allometrics or Allometry.

E.g. https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/allometry-the-study-ofbiological-scaling-13228439

Last edited:

1. What is the name of this field of science please?

This field of science is known as taxonomy, which is the study of classifying and organizing living organisms based on their physical and genetic characteristics.

2. How is taxonomy different from other fields of science?

Taxonomy is unique in that it focuses specifically on the classification and organization of living organisms, rather than broader fields like biology or ecology.

3. Who is considered the father of taxonomy?

The Swedish scientist Carl Linnaeus is widely considered the father of taxonomy for his development of the modern system of naming and classifying living organisms.

4. What is the purpose of taxonomy?

The main purpose of taxonomy is to provide a standardized system for identifying, naming, and classifying living organisms. This helps scientists communicate and organize information about different species.

5. What are some examples of how taxonomy is used in everyday life?

Taxonomy has many practical applications, such as identifying and categorizing plants and animals for agriculture, conservation, and medical research. It also helps us understand evolutionary relationships between different species.