What is the net force acting on a submerged juniper wood plank?

In summary, the net force acting on the juniper wood plank when it is completely immersed in water can be determined by calculating the weight of the wood and the buoyant force of the water. The weight of the wood can be found by multiplying the density of the wood by its volume, while the buoyant force can be found by multiplying the density of the water by the volume of the wood. The net force can then be calculated by subtracting the weight from the buoyant force.
kieslingrc
1. A juniper wood plank measuring 7 ft by 0.5 ft by 0.1 ft is totally immersed in water. What is the net force acting on the plank? ()

2. a) F top = P top * A top(l x w) ; b) P bottom = P top + (Dw * h); c) F bottom = (F top) + (Dw*l*w*h); d) Fb = F bottom - F top e) Weight = Dw * l * w * h; f) F net = Fb – weight;

3. I believe the above equations are all I need to solve this problem and in that order. I believe my stumbling blocks are the units.

a. I converted the area from feet to inches and formulated F top to be 14.7 lb/in^2 * 504 in^2 leaving 7408.8 lbs of force (the in^2 cancels out, right?)

b. This is where I get lost. The Dw of Juniper wood is 35 lb/ft^3. Since the height is .1 feet, I don't have to convert, so I just multiply 35 lb/ft^3 * .1 ft leaving 3.5 lb/ft^2. This is where I am lost. I have 7408.8 lbs + 3.5 lb/ft^2. So I am left with 7412.3 lb/ft^2 which can't be right. In step a I had in^2 and canceled them out. Now what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, never mind. I was totally off on a tangent here with some crazy formula in my text. It is as simple as calculating the weight = Dw of the wood * V = 35 * .35 = 12.25lb. Then buoyant force = Dw of the water * V = 62.4 * .35 = 21.8lb. Fnet = Fb - W = 21.8 - 12.25 = 9.55 lb. Easy once it's laid out that way. Hope this helps someone else out there some day.

What is the concept of buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it, which is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

How is buoyant force related to Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This means that the more fluid an object displaces, the greater the buoyant force it experiences.

How does the density of an object affect its buoyant force?

The density of an object determines its buoyancy in a fluid. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will experience a greater buoyant force and float. If the object is more dense, it will sink.

What is the relationship between buoyant force and an object's weight?

Buoyant force and an object's weight are equal when the object is fully submerged in a fluid. This is due to Archimedes' principle, where the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid.

How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy in a fluid. Objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater buoyant force as they displace more fluid. In contrast, objects with a smaller surface area will experience less buoyant force and may sink.