What is the net torque on a uniform rod rotating around a fixed pivot?

In summary, the question asks to determine the angular acceleration of a uniform rod attached to a pivot as it falls from rest. The calculation of the initial and final energies is correct, but the calculation of the angular velocity is irrelevant. The correct approach is to find the net torque at the moment the rod is horizontal and use the formula ##T_{net}/I=\alpha## to find the angular acceleration.
Draggu

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I'm having trouble with energy in rotational motion. The question asks:
Consider a uniform rod of mass 12 kg and length 1.0 m. At its end, the rod is attached to a fixed, friction-free pivot. Initially the rod is balanced vertically above the pivot and begins to fall (from rest) as shown in the diagram. Determine, a.the angular acceleration of the rod as it passes through the horizontal at B.

Ok. So, here's my logic. The answer is wrong, I'm aware, but I'd like to know why.
Einitial=Efinal Einitial = mg(L)/2 =58.8J

Efinal = (1/2)(I)(w^2) (I can use h=0 as a reference point in the middle of the motion, right?)
=(1/6)mL^2 w^2
w = 5.42rad/s

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong but this is the velocity as soon as the rod is horizontal. Let's continue -- using this equation:

Where a = angular acceleration d = θ (in rad)
Didn't the rod rotate 90 degrees (vertical to horizontal)? -- if so, its radians are 1.57

w^2 = wo^2 + 2ad (5.42 ) /(2(1.57)) = 9.3rad/s^2
The answer is something like 14.7rad/s^2... I feel like something's wrong with the theta.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draggu said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I'm having trouble with energy in rotational motion. The question asks:
Consider a uniform rod of mass 12 kg and length 1.0 m. At its end, the rod is attached to a fixed, friction-free pivot. Initially the rod is balanced vertically above the pivot and begins to fall (from rest) as shown in the diagram. Determine, a.the angular acceleration of the rod as it passes through the horizontal at B.

Ok. So, here's my logic. The answer is wrong, I'm aware, but I'd like to know why.
Einitial=Efinal Einitial = mg(L)/2 =58.8J

Efinal = (1/2)(I)(w^2) (I can use h=0 as a reference point in the middle of the motion, right?)
=(1/6)mL^2 w^2
w = 5.42rad/s

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong but this is the velocity as soon as the rod is horizontal. Let's continue -- using this equation:

Where a = angular acceleration d = θ (in rad)
Didn't the rod rotate 90 degrees (vertical to horizontal)? -- if so, its radians are 1.57

w^2 = wo^2 + 2ad (5.42 ) /(2(1.57)) = 9.3rad/s^2
The answer is something like 14.7rad/s^2... I feel like something's wrong with the theta.

Your calculation for ω is correct but it also appears that it's irrelevant to the angular acceleration. When the rod is perfectly horizontal with the pivot (which I assume from the question even though you didn't attach a picture), the only thing we need to figure out is the net torque at that moment in time. And since you probably know that ##T_{net}/I=\alpha##...

Related to What is the net torque on a uniform rod rotating around a fixed pivot?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is also known as the turning effect of a force.

2. How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque of a uniform rod, you need to know the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm. The formula for torque is: T = F * d * sin(θ), where T is torque, F is force, d is distance, and θ is the angle between the force and lever arm.

3. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. Negative torque indicates that the force is causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction.

4. How does the length of the rod affect torque?

The longer the rod, the greater the torque for the same force applied. This is because the distance from the axis of rotation is greater, resulting in a larger lever arm.

5. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that if the torque increases, the angular acceleration will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: τ = I * α, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.