What is the notation for angular distance travelled?

In summary, the angular distance traveled by an object moving in circular motion is measured using the notation ##\textbf{TOTAL}## angle.
AlbertE97
What is the notation for the angular distance traveled by an object moving in circular motion?

s is for regular distance (m,ft,inches, etc.).

What I want is some x to be the distance in either degrees or radians.

How should I call that x?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just use ##\theta(t)## and defined it as the total amount of radians that the object has traveled. In your case of circular motion, I would have it be that angle away from its original starting point, ##\theta_0## if ##\theta(t) \in [-2\pi+\theta_0\leq\theta(t)\leq 2\pi-\theta_0 ]##. Only include the ##\theta_0## if you are measuring the angle from the origin. If you aren't, and you're measuring the angle from ##\theta_0##,it's just ##[-2\pi\leq\theta(t)\leq2\pi]##

BUT
If ##\theta(t)\notin [-2\pi+\theta_0\leq\theta(t)\leq 2\pi-\theta_0]##which means your not restricting it to one full revolution, than I would say it is the ##\textbf{TOTAL}## angle traveled by the object in time t. The comment about ##\theta_0## being included or not from above applies here as well. (The part about measuring from the origin or ##\theta_0##)

Last edited:
Does that answer your question adequately?

It'll suffice. We'll see if anyone has seen different notation though.

You can really use any notation you want, as long as you define what you're doing. For example I could use any of the following ( or anything else, really) for what we are describing, as long as It's stated somewhere.
##
\phi(t)\\
\pi(t)\\
\epsilon(t)\\
\zeta(t)\\
A(t)\\
Q(t)\\
\eta(t)\\
\text{etc.,}
##

But I don't think that's what you mean. Typically for angles you usually see either ##\phi\\ \text{or}\\ \theta##, which are known as phi and theta, as you may know.

Last edited:
This may help:

Attachments

• rlin.gif
    rlin.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 837
Likes AlbertE97

1. What is angular distance?

Angular distance is a measure of the amount of rotation between two objects or points. It is typically measured in degrees, radians, or revolutions.

2. What is the notation for angular distance?

The notation for angular distance varies depending on the unit of measurement. Degrees are represented by the symbol "°", radians by "rad", and revolutions by "rev". In equations, angular distance is often denoted by the Greek letter theta (θ).

3. How is angular distance different from linear distance?

Angular distance is a measure of rotation, while linear distance is a measure of straight-line distance. Angular distance is typically used when describing the movement of objects along a circular path, while linear distance is used for straight-line motion.

4. Can angular distance be negative?

Yes, angular distance can be negative. It depends on the direction of rotation and the chosen reference point. For example, if an object rotates clockwise, the angular distance will be negative if the reference point is chosen to be in the opposite direction.

5. How is angular distance related to angular velocity?

Angular distance and angular velocity are closely related. Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular distance over time. It is typically measured in degrees/second, radians/second, or revolutions/second. The two are related by the formula: angular velocity = angular distance / time.