What is the opposite of epsilon

In summary, there is no definitive term for the opposite of epsilon (infinitesimal), but some common symbols used are ##H, N, C## and ##\infty##.
Pjpic
Is there a notation for the opposite of epsilon (infinitesimal) in the way that infinity is the opposite of zero?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is a definitive term, I've seen people use these terms:
- immeasureable
- infinite

For every ##\varepsilon >0## ''very small'' you have ##\varepsilon^{-1}=\frac{1}{\varepsilon}## is ''very big'', in general there is no a preferred symbol to denote this ...

Usually, people like to use capital letters for this, such as ##H## or ##N##.

Perhaps ##N## for number such as ##N(ε)##. I've also seen ##C## for a constant. But I've never seen a huge ##H##.

"The nightmare of mathematician is a sequence ##\varepsilon_n## that tends to infinity, as ##n \to 0##"
Paul Halmos

Pjpic said:
Is there a notation for the opposite of epsilon (infinitesimal) in the way that infinity is the opposite of zero?
The opposite of infinity is not zero, it's ##\varepsilon##.
Source : This Numberphile video

Depends how you define "opposite". If you mean additive inverse, then ##-\infty## would be the opposite of ##\infty##, and ##-\varepsilon## for ##\varepsilon##. If by "opposite" you mean multiplicative inverse, then the opposite of ##\varepsilon## would be ##\infty##. Zero, on the other hand doesn't have a multiplicative inverse, so maybe we can say it doesn't have an opposite.

What is the opposite of epsilon?

The opposite of epsilon is infinity. Epsilon is a very small number that approaches zero, while infinity is a concept that represents something unbounded or endless.

Is there a mathematical symbol for the opposite of epsilon?

Yes, the mathematical symbol for the opposite of epsilon is ∞, which represents infinity.

Can epsilon and its opposite, infinity, be used interchangeably in equations?

No, epsilon and infinity cannot be used interchangeably in equations. They represent two different concepts and have different mathematical properties.

What is the significance of epsilon and its opposite in mathematics?

Epsilon and its opposite infinity are important concepts in mathematics, particularly in calculus and analysis. They help to define limits and represent the idea of approaching a value without ever reaching it.

Are there any real-world applications for the concept of the opposite of epsilon?

Yes, the concept of the opposite of epsilon, infinity, has real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, it is used in the calculation of limits and in modeling infinite systems.