What is the Optimal Angle for a Long Jump from a 20 Metre Run-Up?

In summary: ...when you are looking at the trajectory of your jump, you should consider the height of your jump relative to the speed you are running.
miniradman

Homework Statement

What is the best angle to do a long jump from a 20 metre running start.

Homework Equations

What is the terminal velocity of the run up?
Maximum height of the jump
Horizontal and verticle components

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello there, I am doing an EEI on the physics of long jumping and I'm not exactly sure what physics are needed to figure out the best angle of the long jump.

I have video taped myself doing long jump from a 20 metre runup and a long jump. After looking at the video footage, I calculated my takeoff angle to be approximately 25 degrees to the hoirzontal.

Also I assume that my terminal velocity of my runup is also the inital velocity of my trajectory during the actual jump.

I have also taken to account the my center of mass is in my hip position. So I don't have a complete trajectory. Because at the beginning of my jump my waist is about 80cm off the ground but when I land. I tuck my legs in so it's basically or close to 0cm off the ground. Also tucking the legs in gives me more air time so I travel further.

The problem is that I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. What do I put in my introduction? what do i need to know and what I don't need to know? What am I missing?

Help is greatly appreciated... thanks guys/gals :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to be the same problem as mine:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=521803 If you mean, the angle required for max distance that you can get from jumping from a heigh 20m,

The answer is

[itex] Arcsin \left( \frac {Vo}{\sqrt {2Vo² + 2gH}}\right)[/itex]

But if you mean that you run 20m before and than jump (not from a given height, as before)
The angle is 45°It can be easy proved

The height is function of time is

[itex]h = Vo sin(\alpha)t - (1/2)gt²[/itex]

Equaling to 0

[itex] t = \frac{ 2 Vo sin(\alpha)} {g}[/itex] (1)

The horizontal distance in function of time is:

[itex]x = Vo cos(\alpha)t \Rightarrow t= \frac{x}{Vo cos(\alpha)}[/itex] (2)

If we substitute the (2) in (1), we get[itex] x = \frac{2Vo² sin(\alpha) cos(\alpha)}{g} [/itex]
or [itex] \frac{2Vo² sin(2 \alpha) }{ g} [/itex]

So we have to find the max value for [itex]sin( 2 \alpha) [/itex]
The max value for a sin is 1, so \alpha is 45º

Last edited:
miniradman said:

Homework Statement

What is the best angle to do a long jump from a 20 metre running start.

Homework Equations

What is the terminal velocity of the run up?
Maximum height of the jump
Horizontal and verticle components

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello there, I am doing an EEI on the physics of long jumping and I'm not exactly sure what physics are needed to figure out the best angle of the long jump.

I have video taped myself doing long jump from a 20 metre run up and a long jump. After looking at the video footage, I calculated my takeoff angle to be approximately 25 degrees to the hoirzontal.

Also I assume that my terminal velocity of my runup is also the inital velocity of my trajectory during the actual jump.

I have also taken to account the my center of mass is in my hip position. So I don't have a complete trajectory. Because at the beginning of my jump my waist is about 80cm off the ground but when I land. I tuck my legs in so it's basically or close to 0cm off the ground. Also tucking the legs in gives me more air time so I travel further.

The problem is that I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. What do I put in my introduction? what do i need to know and what I don't need to know? What am I missing?

Help is greatly appreciated... thanks guys/gals :wink:

When you begin your jump, your centre of mass is higher than when you land - unless to land in the standing position. [you noted that]

While a "standard projectile" will achieve maximum range when fired at 45 degrees, you can probably run faster than you can do a vertical jump, so the 45 degree option will never be for you - you would always have to slow right down just to achieve the 45 degree take off.

I do suspect that your ability to run will always outstrip your ability to jump, so you will actually just run as fast as you can, then jump as high as you can.

The top long jumpers are often the best sprinters - Carl Lewis being the most recent example of that I can recall.

Because everyone is a different height, would the answer be a function?

miniradman said:
Because everyone is a different height, would the answer be a function?

A function of what? And I don't think I know.

Because everyone that will do a long jump be a different height, wouldn't their center of mass be at a different height.

For Example: a person whos center of mass is 80cm off the ground would have more of a trajectory than someone with a center of mass at 100cm off the ground? so would there be somekind of formula to solve for whatever height someone is?

miniradman said:
Because everyone that will do a long jump be a different height, wouldn't their center of mass be at a different height.

For Example: a person whos center of mass is 80cm off the ground would have more of a trajectory than someone with a center of mass at 100cm off the ground? so would there be somekind of formula to solve for whatever height someone is?

One way to test the advantage of build, would be to go through olympic/world championship records, and find the height of the best long jumpers for the the last 10 years and see if they are all taller. You probably need the height of all competitors to see if the tall were defeating the short or vice-versa, or did it just seem random?

PeterO said:
One way to test the advantage of build, would be to go through olympic/world championship records, and find the height of the best long jumpers for the the last 10 years and see if they are all taller. You probably need the height of all competitors to see if the tall were defeating the short or vice-versa, or did it just seem random?
Ok, the thing is that I'm the only person conducting this experiment (EEI) so I don't have a wide range of people to choose from and the answers are supposed to coincide with my findings. Since I've only done one test, I'm not sure if I'm ready to start writing the main body of my EEI. I think the next time I do this, I might get some terminal velocities with a wide range of people with different heights and terminal velocities.

The thing that I'm stuck on is how they relate to each other or if there is a constant between them? (like a formula)

Related to What is the Optimal Angle for a Long Jump from a 20 Metre Run-Up?

1. How does the angle of takeoff affect the distance of a long jump?

The angle of takeoff is a critical factor in the success of a long jump. A shallow angle will result in a shorter distance as the athlete will not have enough vertical force to propel themselves forward. However, an angle that is too steep can also be detrimental as it will result in a higher vertical distance but a shorter horizontal distance. The ideal angle of takeoff is around 45 degrees, allowing for a good balance between vertical and horizontal force.

2. What is the role of air resistance in a long jump?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in a long jump. As the athlete moves through the air, they experience a force pushing against them in the opposite direction of their movement. This force can slow down the athlete and reduce their overall distance. To minimize the effects of air resistance, athletes often use techniques such as tucking their body and pointing their toes to create a more streamlined shape.

3. How does the speed of the run-up affect the distance of a long jump?

The speed of the run-up is crucial in a long jump as it determines the amount of kinetic energy the athlete has when taking off. A faster run-up will result in a greater amount of kinetic energy, allowing the athlete to jump further. However, it is essential to find the right balance as a run-up that is too fast can also lead to a loss of control and a shorter jump.

4. What role do leg muscles play in a long jump?

Leg muscles, specifically the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes, play a crucial role in a long jump. These muscles are responsible for generating the power and force needed to propel the athlete forward. Proper training and conditioning of these muscles can significantly improve an athlete's long jump performance.

5. How does the athlete's body position during landing affect the distance of a long jump?

The athlete's body position during landing is critical in determining the distance of a long jump. Ideally, the athlete should aim to land with their feet slightly in front of their center of mass, allowing them to maintain their forward momentum. If the athlete lands with their feet behind their center of mass, it can result in a loss of momentum and a shorter jump. Additionally, a proper landing position can also decrease the risk of injury.