What is the Output Force of a Wheel Axle?

In summary: Sure. For a lever, which end is "input" and which is "output" is your choice based on the situation at hand. Base your choice on the scenario presented in the problem statement.
NatalieWise123

Homework Statement

You apply a force of 17 N to a wheel with a radius of 0.75 m. If the axle has a radius of 6 cm, what is the output force, assuming the machine operates under ideal conditions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to begin to begin this. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "simple machines output force".

Begin with thinking about all the equations you were given in class.

NatalieWise123 said:
I don't even know how to begin to begin this. Help!
What do you know about angular momentum?

TeethWhitener said:
What do you know about angular momentum?

Angular Momentum= mass*velocity*radius

Isaac0427 said:
Begin with thinking about all the equations you were given in class.

I'm thinking it has something to do with Idea Mechanical Advantage which is output/input I believe.

How about torque? (I probably should have said torque in my first post)

TeethWhitener said:
How about torque? (I probably should have said torque in my first post)

We haven't learned that yet

Hmm. Ok. It is about mechanical advantage. It's just a little easier to understand if you know about torque. No big deal. But gimme a sec to think about how to explain the problem without torque.

Have you gone over concepts such as angular velocity yet?

You can think of the setup like a lever, with each arm being a radius and the fulcrum being the shared center of rotation (axis). Surely you've covered simple machines like levers?

Fig1.png

TeethWhitener said:
Have you gone over concepts such as angular velocity yet?

In a really general sense. I understand it though.

gneill said:
You can think of the setup like a lever, with each arm being a radius and the fulcrum being the shared center of rotation (axis). Surely you've covered simple machines like levers?

View attachment 91966

Sort of. Would output force be F2?

NatalieWise123 said:
Sort of. Would output force be F2?
Sure. For a lever, which end is "input" and which is "output" is your choice based on the situation at hand. Base your choice on the scenario presented in the problem statement.

gneill's picture is probably much better help than anything I could put into words.

Related to What is the Output Force of a Wheel Axle?

1. What is the Output Force of a Wheel Axle?

The output force of a wheel axle refers to the amount of force that the axle is able to generate or transfer to the wheels of a vehicle or machine.

2. How is the Output Force of a Wheel Axle Calculated?

The output force of a wheel axle can be calculated by multiplying the input force (such as the force applied by the engine) by the gear ratio of the axle. This ratio is determined by the number of teeth on the gear of the axle and the gear it is connected to.

3. Why is the Output Force of a Wheel Axle important?

The output force of a wheel axle is important because it is responsible for transferring the power from the engine to the wheels, allowing the vehicle or machine to move. It also determines the torque and speed of the wheels, which affects the overall performance.

4. How does the Output Force of a Wheel Axle affect the performance of a vehicle or machine?

The output force of a wheel axle affects the performance by determining the amount of force and torque that is applied to the wheels. This can affect the speed, acceleration, and towing capacity of a vehicle or machine.

5. What factors can affect the Output Force of a Wheel Axle?

The output force of a wheel axle can be affected by several factors, including the gear ratio, the weight and size of the vehicle or machine, the condition of the axle and its components, and the terrain or surface that the vehicle is operating on.