What is the output of this C program with int pointers?

In summary, the code tries to allocate memory and it crashes because a is a pointer to char and '0' is subtracted from it.
diredragon

Homework Statement

I am supposed to analyze the code and find it's output without running it. Some things were unclear so i did run it and i have some things that puzzle me.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
C:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
enum e {N1=5, N2, N3, N4};

void main() {
   char *a, *b, *c, i, j;
   int n = 0;
   a = (int*)calloc(N2, sizeof(char));
   b = c = (int*)malloc(N4 + 1);
   strcpy(b, "31131402");

//not sure what happens in the next few lines.
   //a is an int pointer allocated to 6 char places.
   while (*c) {
       a[*c++ - '0']++;
       n++;
       //first itteration *c = '3'
       //a['3' - '0'] = 0 because it's post increment
       //second itteration *c = '1'
       //a['1'-'0'] = 1
       //third itteration *c = '1'
       //debugger gives a[*c++ - '0'] as 1 again?
       //third itteration gives a[*c++ - '0'] = 1 and fourth a[*c++-'0']=0;
       //how to it assign them like this? It has something to do that it's int pointer with 6 char places but i can't seem to grasp why.
       //how does it do it?
   }
   for(c = a; *c; printf("%c", *c++ + 'a'));
   printf("\n");
   free(a); free(b);
}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a, b and c are defined as pointers to char. Even if your compiler accepts a = (int *) calloc( ... ), a will be a pointer to char and the cast won't do anything.
The while loop just scans the string "31131402" using the pointer to character c, until the ascii zero at the end of the string is reached.
a[*c++] is not the same as a[*c++ - '0']. '0' is subtracted from *c to convert the chars '0' .. '9 with ascii codes 48..57 to the ints 0..9.
Using a['0'] should cause a crash.

Likes diredragon
willem2 said:
a, b and c are defined as pointers to char. Even if your compiler accepts a = (int *) calloc( ... ), a will be a pointer to char and the cast won't do anything.
The while loop just scans the string "31131402" using the pointer to character c, until the ascii zero at the end of the string is reached.
a[*c++] is not the same as a[*c++ - '0']. '0' is subtracted from *c to convert the chars '0' .. '9 with ascii codes 48..57 to the ints 0..9.
Using a['0'] should cause a crash.
Thanks, i understand that know :)

1. What are int pointers in C programming?

Int pointers, also known as integer pointers, are variables that store the memory addresses of other integer variables. They are used to indirectly access and modify the value of the variable they point to.

2. How do you declare and initialize an int pointer in C?

To declare an int pointer, use the asterisk (*) symbol before the variable name. For example: int *ptr; To initialize the pointer, you can assign it the address of an existing integer variable using the ampersand (&) operator. For example: int num = 5; int *ptr = #

3. How do you use int pointers to modify the value of a variable?

To modify the value of a variable using an int pointer, you can use the dereference operator (*) before the pointer name. This will allow you to access the value stored at the memory address pointed to by the pointer. For example: *ptr = 10; will change the value of the variable num to 10.

4. Can int pointers be used to point to variables of other data types?

Yes, int pointers can point to variables of other data types, but the pointer must be typecasted accordingly. For example, to point to a char variable, the pointer must be typecasted as char *. Similarly, for a float variable, the pointer must be typecasted as float *.

5. How do you free the memory allocated to an int pointer?

To free the memory allocated to an int pointer, use the free() function. This function takes in the pointer as an argument and releases the memory allocated to it. It is important to free the memory to avoid memory leaks in your program.