What is the phase margin and gain margin for this circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase margin and how it relates to the 0 dB gain frequency. The individuals are trying to determine the appropriate phase margin on a plot and consider the possibility of a negative phase margin.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-14_15-57-58.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble visualizing this. So I know that the phase margin is how much phase lag it would take to make -180 phase at the 0 dB gain frequency. I am just having trouble placing this on the plot. It isn't a homework question I am preparing for an exam. I would think the answer is 45 degrees ?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-14_15-57-58.png
    upload_2018-4-14_15-57-58.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 727
Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 224055

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble visualizing this. So I know that the phase margin is how much phase lag it would take to make -180 phase at the 0 dB gain frequency. I am just having trouble placing this on the plot. It isn't a homework question I am preparing for an exam. I would think the answer is 45 degrees ?
Notice that at 180 deg phase shift the gain is still > 0dB!

rude man said:
Notice that at 180 deg phase shift the gain is still > 0dB!
I'm not sure what I am supposed to looking at to figure this out then

If gain margin is negative, so must phase margin be, making what your answer?

rude man said:
If gain margin is negative, so must phase margin be, making what your answer?
So then my answer would be none of the above so it can be negative ?

Cocoleia said:
So then my answer would be none of the above so it can be negative ?

That's my vote.

1. What is phase margin?

Phase margin is a measure of how much additional phase shift can be applied to a system before it becomes unstable. It is typically expressed in degrees and indicates how close the system is to the point of oscillation.

2. How is phase margin related to stability?

The higher the phase margin, the more stable the system is. A phase margin of 0 degrees indicates that the system is at the brink of instability, while a phase margin of 180 degrees indicates perfect stability.

3. What is gain margin?

Gain margin is a measure of the amount by which the gain of a system can be increased before it becomes unstable. It is typically expressed in decibels (dB) and is closely related to phase margin.

4. How are phase margin and gain margin calculated?

Phase margin and gain margin can be calculated from the system's open-loop transfer function by using stability criteria such as the Bode plot or Nyquist plot. These plots help to visualize the phase and gain margins and determine their values.

5. Why are phase and gain margin important in control system design?

Phase and gain margin are important because they provide insight into the stability of a system and help determine if any modifications are needed to ensure stability. They are also useful for comparing different control system designs and selecting the most suitable one for a given application.