What is the physical intuition behind radiative heating and cooling?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a reference that will provide physical intuition on radiative heating and cooling, with a preference for simple calculations and information on solids, planets, atmospheres, and asteroids. The person asking the question is not interested in detailed calculations and has previously asked a question related to frost formation on car windows. They are interested in a 1960 monograph on the subject and have been recommended to look at the chapter on radiation from Lienhard & Lienhard. The discussion also touches on the impact of walls on view angle and how it relates to the problem.
Frabjous
Gold Member
I am looking for a reference that will give me some physical intuition into radiative heating and cooling. I am not afraid of math, but I am not interested in performing detailed calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
caz said:
I am looking for a reference that will give me some physical intuition into radiative heating and cooling. I am not afraid of math, but I am not interested in performing detailed calculations.
I don't know what "intuition" means in this context. Can you explain what it is that you want to know? As stated, the question is extremely broad and vague. Have you read the Wikipedia article on the subject?

Likes vanhees71
A couple of weeks ago, I asked this question
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/frost-preferentially-forms-on-non-vertical-car-windows.998408/
I was surprised that part of the answer was that a wall 20 ft away influenced the answer. I had no physical intuition what so ever.

I am more interested in solids, planets, atmospheres and asteroids than I am in blackbodies or spectra.

In my perfect world, someone would suggest a 100-page 1960 monograph that mixes simple calculations with exposition on what the detailed calculation would involve.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and Frabjous
caz said:
A couple of weeks ago, I asked this question
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/frost-preferentially-forms-on-non-vertical-car-windows.998408/
I was surprised that part of the answer was that a wall 20 ft away influenced the answer. I had no physical intuition what so ever.
It's a pretty straightforward problem of view angle. A flat plate has a 180 degree field of view (a hemisphere). For a vertical (horizontal facing) window, half of that is a view of the ground. The impact of the wall depends on how big and warm it is.

1. What is radiative heating and cooling?

Radiative heating and cooling is a process by which energy is transferred through electromagnetic radiation. It occurs when an object absorbs or emits electromagnetic radiation, which can either increase or decrease its temperature, respectively.

2. What are the main factors that affect radiative heating and cooling?

The main factors that affect radiative heating and cooling are the temperature of the object, the surface area of the object, and the type of material the object is made of. Objects with higher temperatures and larger surface areas will emit more radiation, while objects with lower temperatures and smaller surface areas will absorb more radiation.

3. How does radiative heating and cooling contribute to Earth's climate?

Radiative heating and cooling plays a crucial role in Earth's climate. The sun emits electromagnetic radiation, which is absorbed by Earth's surface and atmosphere, causing the planet to warm up. The Earth then emits this absorbed radiation back into the atmosphere, where it is either absorbed or reflected by greenhouse gases, resulting in a balance between incoming and outgoing energy that determines the Earth's temperature.

4. How do human activities impact radiative heating and cooling?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, contribute to an increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. This leads to an increase in the amount of radiation trapped in the Earth's atmosphere, causing the planet to warm up. This phenomenon, known as the greenhouse effect, is a major factor in climate change and global warming.

5. Can radiative heating and cooling be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, radiative heating and cooling can be harnessed for practical use. For example, solar panels use the sun's radiation to generate electricity, and thermal insulation uses the principles of radiative cooling to keep buildings cool in hot climates. Researchers are also exploring ways to use radiative heating and cooling to improve energy efficiency and reduce the carbon footprint of buildings and other structures.