What is the potential difference between points A and B in a circuit?

In summary, the cells in a circuit have 2V and 4V emfs with 2Ω and 6Ω internal resistance, respectively. The potential difference between AB can be found using Kirchoff's Laws and the equation V=IR. If VAB = 0, then it is a shortcircuit and there is no need to worry. However, if VAB ≠ 0, then I-i will go to infinity, and the potential difference across the shortcircuit will vanish. Ultimately, the potential difference between AB can be extrapolated to any circuit as needed.
kalupahana

Homework Statement

The Cells in a circuit has 2V and 4V emfs and 2Ω and 6Ω internal resistance respectively. Find the potential difference between AB

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchoff's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempts are in image

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
AB seems to be a shortcircuit. That is a potential difference of 0, so if you end up getting that, it's nothing to worry about. If you got something other than 0, that's when you should be worried. :wink:

Basically, you can think of a shortcircuit as taking a branch with a single resistor R, and doing R → 0. From V = IR, you see that I = V/R, so if R → 0, the only way to stop I from going to infinity and being a defined finite value, is to have V = 0, that is, the potential difference across a shortcircuit vanishes.

Metaleer said:
AB seems to be a shortcircuit. That is a potential difference of 0, so if you end up getting that, it's nothing to worry about. If you got something other than 0, that's when you should be worried. :wink:

Basically, you can think of a shortcircuit as taking a branch with a single resistor R, and doing R → 0. From V = IR, you see that I = V/R, so if R → 0, the only way to stop I from going to infinity and being a defined finite value, is to have V = 0, that is, the potential difference across a shortcircuit vanishes.
If VAB ≠ 0, then it would be I-i that goes to infinity.

The I in my explanation was the I of an arbitrary branch in which a shortcircuit is produced, I didn't use the same circuit as the one given. That's why I said V = IR, and not V = (I-i)R.

The I of my example would be extrapolated to whatever it need be, per particular circuit.

Ok thanks for help, i got it

You're welcome. :biggrin:

Related to What is the potential difference between points A and B in a circuit?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move an electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected across the two points in a circuit. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential between the two points and displays it in volts.

3. What causes potential difference?

Potential difference is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges in an electric circuit. This separation creates an electric field, which is responsible for the movement of charges and the flow of electricity.

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of electricity?

Potential difference is directly related to the flow of electricity. The greater the potential difference, the greater the electric current that will flow through a circuit. This is because a higher potential difference creates a stronger electric field, which can push more charges through the circuit.

5. What is the difference between potential difference and electric potential?

Potential difference and electric potential are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different concepts. Electric potential refers to the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in a circuit, while potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the electric field at a point, while potential difference is a measure of the change in electric potential between two points.