What is the power per square meter of a sun on a planet?

GlubbyJug
Homework Statement
Using your answer from the previous question, find how much power per square meter is arriving at a planet 1.5*10^11 m away
Relevant Equations
No clue what equation to use
From the previous question I got the star is giving off around 4.01*10^27 W. I am unsure how to find the answer it asks for. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
how many square meters ARE there on the surface of a sphere 1.5*10^11 m in radius?

EDIT: OOPS --- see post #12

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes DaveC426913
Well the area of a sphere is 4pir^2 so inputing the numbers I got around 2.83*10^23

• Skeptical
Likes DaveC426913
GlubbyJug said:
Well the area of a sphere is 4pir^2 so inputing the numbers I got around 2.83*10^23
What should I do now?

Update: I checked my calculations for the first part and got the star is really giving off around 3.19*10^26 Watts. Does this effect what I should do?

Step 1:
At Earth orbit, the sun's rays are effectively parallel. The spherical shape of the Earth is not the correct area to compute. What you really want to compute is the surface area of the disc of the Earth, which is simply a disc whose diameter is that of the Earth.

Step 2:
If you have a power output, and you have an area, and you are asked "how much power per square meter is arriving at the planet", do you think you can divine what the appropriate calculation might be?

GlubbyJug said:
What should I do now?
You're being asked to compute the power per unit area passing outward through a sphere of radius ##1.5\times 10^{11}\mathrm{m}##. You know the total power and you know the total area. How do you go about computing power per unit area?

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and Filip Larsen
GlubbyJug said:
This is a meaningless number. If you have dimensionful quantities you always need to specify the units. No exceptions.

GlubbyJug said:
Does this effect what I should do?
No. As others have said, to find the energy per area you simply should divide the energy by the area it is spread over.

DaveC426913 said:
At Earth orbit, the sun's rays are effectively parallel. The spherical shape of the Earth is not the correct area to compute. What you really want to compute is the surface area of the disc of the Earth, which is simply a disc whose diameter is that of the Earth.
Dave, since is asking for the power per square meter, not the total power, the area of the Earth is irrelevant. One has to assume that the answer is to be based on a fairly central square meter, else there is no way to determine the answer.

Last edited:
What is the angle subtended by the planet?

Chestermiller said:
What is the angle subtended by the planet?
Irrelevant since the question doesn't ask for the TOTAL power but the power per square meter. As I pointed out directly above to Dave, you HAVE to assume that the question is based on a square meter that is facing the sun square-on, else you can't find an answer without knowing the angle at which the square meter faces the sun and then the math gets nasty.

OOPS ! I now see why everyone but me IS considering the total area of the Earth's disc. One has to compute the power to the disc and then average it out.

phinds said:
Irrelevant since the question doesn't ask for the TOTAL power but the power per square meter. As I pointed out directly above to Dave, you HAVE to assume that the question is based on a square meter that is facing the sun square-on, else you can't find an answer without knowing the angle at which the square meter faces the sun and then the math gets nasty.

If the planet is rotating, the time- and spatial average power per square area is equal to the total power divided by the total area ##4\pi R^2##.

Chestermiller said:
If the planet is rotating, the time- and spatial average power per square area is equal to the total power divided by the total area ##4\pi R^2##.
Good point. I'm not clear that that is what is being asked for, but it's still a good point.

phinds said:
OOPS ! I now see why everyone but me IS considering the total area of the Earth's disc. One has to compute the power to the disc and then average it out.
This is unclear from the problem statement. I’d tend to favor your original interpretation simply because it seems more appropriate for OP’s level.

Likes phinds
Chestermiller said:
As said above, the formulation by the OP is ambiguous as it does not specify which area. It certainly does not stipulate a time average or area average and the typical thing for irradience would be to specify power per area orthogonal to the radiation direction.

Likes MatinSAR and phinds
Orodruin said:
This is unclear from the problem statement. I’d tend to favor your original interpretation simply because it seems more appropriate for OP’s level.
Yes, that was why I interpreted it that way instead of thinking about it in the more sophisticated way that others did.

Orodruin said:
If the quoted wording can be trusted, I see no ambiguity. It says "power arriving at", I.e. reaching the specified distance. What the planet does with it (could be tidally locked) is another matter.

Likes Ibix
haruspex said:
What the planet does with it (could be tidally locked) is another matter.
And there isn't a unique answer if we start talking about power per square meter of planet surface, because it varies across the planet.

GlubbyJug said:
how much power per square meter is arriving at a planet 1.5*10^11 m away
the star is giving off around 4.01*10^27 W.
GlubbyJug said:
the area of a sphere is 4pir^2 so inputing the numbers I got around 2.83*10^23
How did you get 2.83*10^23 (W/m2) from 1.5*10^11 m and 4.01*10^27 W

haruspex said:
If the quoted wording can be trusted, I see no ambiguity. It says "power arriving at", I.e. reaching the specified distance. What the planet does with it (could be tidally locked) is another matter.
Well ... some people that replied read it differently so there is certainly ambiguity even if one particular person cannot read it another way. (For the record, I would also read it as asking for the irradiance.) If it was not ambiguous then there would not have been a reason for people to start talking about planetary geometry and time averages.

Likes phinds
Ibix said:
And there isn't a unique answer if we start talking about power per square meter of planet surface, because it varies across the planet.
Which is why those reading it like that started talking about averages over the planet I guess.

phinds said:
Dave, since is asking for the power per square meter, not the total power, the area of the Earth is irrelevant. One has to assume that the answer is to be based on a fairly central square meter, else there is no way to determine the answer.
Ok, yeah. I thought it was asking for total power. Per square metre is much simpler.

Apologies @GlubbyJug , we've had you on more than one wild goose chase.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the power per square meter of a sun on a planet?

The power per square meter of sunlight that reaches a planet depends on various factors such as the distance between the planet and the sun, the intensity of sunlight at that distance, and any obstructions that may block the sunlight. On average, the power per square meter of sunlight reaching Earth is approximately 1,366 watts per square meter.

2. How does the distance between a planet and the sun affect the power per square meter of sunlight?

The power per square meter of sunlight decreases as the distance between a planet and the sun increases. This is because sunlight spreads out over a larger area as it travels farther from the sun, resulting in a lower intensity of sunlight reaching the planet.

3. What is the relationship between the intensity of sunlight and the power per square meter of sunlight on a planet?

The intensity of sunlight is directly proportional to the power per square meter of sunlight on a planet. This means that the higher the intensity of sunlight, the greater the power per square meter of sunlight reaching the planet.

4. How do obstructions such as clouds or atmospheric conditions affect the power per square meter of sunlight on a planet?

Obstructions such as clouds or atmospheric conditions can block or scatter sunlight, reducing the power per square meter of sunlight reaching a planet. This can result in fluctuations in the amount of sunlight reaching the planet at any given time.

5. Why is it important to consider the power per square meter of sunlight on a planet?

Understanding the power per square meter of sunlight on a planet is important for various reasons, such as predicting climate patterns, assessing solar energy potential, and studying the impact of sunlight on ecosystems and living organisms. It helps scientists and researchers gain insights into the relationship between sunlight and the environment of a planet.