What is the principal moment of inertia tensor for a lamina?

In summary, the conversation discussed the moment of inertia tensor and the principal moment of inertia tensor for a lamina. The determinant of the principal moment of inertia tensor was found to be 0, leading to the calculation of I = 5/3, (5+√18)/6, and (5-√18)/6. The answer was unexpected and differs from the common lamina moment of inertia. The inclusion of the mass and factors of a were suggested.
LeoChan
Homework Statement
A thin uniform rectangular plate (lamina) is of mass m and dimensions 2a by a. Choose a coordinate system Oxyz such that the plate lies in the xy plane with origin at a corner, the long dimension being along the x-axis.

(a) The moment of inertia tensor about the origin
(b) The principal moments of inertia about the origin
Relevant Equations
Inertia tensor
The moment of inertia tensor I found out is
(1/3) (-1/2) 0
(-1/2) (4/3) 0
0 0 (5/3)

The principal moment of inertia tensor I found out is
(1/3-I) . (-1/2) . 0
(-1/2) . (4/3-I) . 0
0 . 0 . (5/3-I)

det of principal of moment inertia = 0
So (1/3-I) (4/3-I)(5/3-I)-(-1/2)(-1/2)(5/3-I)=0
I=5/3, (5+√18)/6, (5-√18)/6

The answer look so weird to me and differ from common lamina moment of inertia

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me, except that the mass ##m## and factors of ##a## should be included.

Likes LeoChan
TSny said:
Looks OK to me, except that the mass ##m## and factors of ##a## should be included.
Thanks. But just didn’t expect the answer to be irrational for a lamina, it made me so confused.

1. What is the definition of principal moment of inertia?

The principal moment of inertia refers to the measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis, taking into account the distribution of mass around that axis.

2. How is the principal moment of inertia different from moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a general term that describes an object's resistance to rotational motion, while the principal moment of inertia specifically refers to the maximum and minimum values of moment of inertia for a given object.

3. How is the principal moment of inertia calculated?

The principal moment of inertia is calculated by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the object's inertia tensor, which is a mathematical representation of the object's mass distribution.

4. What is the significance of principal moment of inertia in physics?

The principal moment of inertia is important in physics because it helps determine an object's stability and how it will behave when subjected to rotational forces. It is also used in the calculation of an object's angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its principal moment of inertia?

The shape of an object has a significant impact on its principal moment of inertia. Objects with a larger mass concentrated farther away from the axis of rotation will have a larger principal moment of inertia, while objects with a more compact mass distribution will have a smaller principal moment of inertia.