What Is the Probability a Moviegoer Waits Less Than 20 Minutes?

• Thread starter yitriana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie Time
In summary: The "easy" part: waiting times are usually modeled with the exponential distribution ("E.D."). Question: what is the relationship between the mean and the variance of an E.D.?The tough part: you have a random variable that is the sum of two exponential variates with distinct parameters. (The wiki page in the link above tells you what to do if their parameters were identical, that is, if lambda1 = lambda2 were the case.) Are you expected to derive this distribution yourself?
yitriana

Homework Statement

The manager of a movie theater determines that the average time movie-goers wait in line to buy a ticker for this week's film is 10 minutes, and avg time to wait to buy popcorn is 5 minutes. Assuming waiting times are independent, find probability that moviegoer waits less than 20 minutes before taking his or her seat.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Waiting times for ticket and popcorn can probably be modeled as functions, but I don't know which specific functions. I don't know how to approach the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
yitriana said:

Homework Statement

The manager of a movie theater determines that the average time movie-goers wait in line to buy a ticker for this week's film is 10 minutes, and avg time to wait to buy popcorn is 5 minutes. Assuming waiting times are independent, find probability that moviegoer waits less than 20 minutes before taking his or her seat.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Waiting times for ticket and popcorn can probably be modeled as functions, but I don't know which specific functions. I don't know how to approach the problem

I don't think there's enough information to answer the question. You indeed would seem to need to know the distribution functions, not just the averages. Are you supposed to assume Gaussian distributions maybe?

I agree with berkeman that there isn't enough information given. Assuming that the waiting times are normally distributed, it seems to me that you need to know the standard deviations of the two waiting times in order to calculate any probabilities.

The "easy" part: waiting times are usually modeled with the exponential distribution ("E.D."). Question: what is the relationship between the mean and the variance of an E.D.?

The tough part: you have a random variable that is the sum of two exponential variates with distinct parameters. (The wiki page in the link above tells you what to do if their parameters were identical, that is, if lambda1 = lambda2 were the case.) Are you expected to derive this distribution yourself?

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Probability a Moviegoer Waits Less Than 20 Minutes?

1. How long is the average waiting time for a movie?

The average waiting time for a movie varies depending on factors such as popularity, release date, and theater location. However, the average waiting time is typically between 2-6 months.

2. Why does it take so long for a movie to be released?

The production process for a movie, from filming to editing to marketing, can take several months. Additionally, movie studios often strategically plan the release date to maximize profits and minimize competition.

3. Can the waiting time for a movie be shortened?

In some cases, movie studios may release a film earlier than planned if it is highly anticipated or if there is a gap in the market. However, this is not always possible due to production schedules and contracts.

4. How can I find out when a movie will be released?

You can check movie release dates on websites such as IMDb or Fandango. You can also follow movie studios and actors on social media for updates on upcoming releases.

5. Why do some movies take longer to be released in certain countries?

Some movies may have different release dates for different countries due to factors such as localization, translation, and censorship laws. Movie studios may also stagger releases to maximize profits in different markets.