What is the problem with the coefficient of friction in my mousetrap car design?

In summary: This is the highest value I can find on the web for "Car tires on loose sand". With so much friction the cart likely won't move at all.
JackV
Homework Statement
I have a mousetrap car that goes for 6.366 meters on a frictionless track and weighs 2.35 Newtons. If there is 0.94 Newtons worth of friction force opposing it, how far would the car go now?

I was just wondering if anyone knows where to start on this.

Thanks.
Relevant Equations
Ffriction=u(coefficient of friction)*Fnormal

Fnet=m*a
Ffriction=0.94N
u (coefficient of friction)=0.4
Fnormal=2.35N
Mass of Cart= 0.24 kg
Spring Potential Energy of the Mousetrap=0.2044 J
Circumference of Wheels= 0.373 m
Circumference of Axles= 0.0047625 m
Drive Train Length= 0.254m
Theoretical Distance based on Circumference of Wheels, Circumference of Axles, and Drive Train Length Without Friction Taken Into Account: 6.366 meters

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it is on a frictionless track why does it stop at all?

hutchphd said:
If it is on a frictionless track why does it stop at all?
6.336 meters is the theoretical value that I calculated based on the length of the drivetrain and the circumference of the axle and wheels. So it is not really frictionless as much as theoretical stopping distance without friction taken into account.

JackV said:
6.336 meters is the theoretical value that I calculated based on the length of the drivetrain and the circumference of the axle and wheels. So it is not really frictionless as much as theoretical stopping distance without friction taken into account.
Then it is still not useful in answering your question.
You need some way to find the total energy available.
Where does the 0.94N figure come from?

I know that the potential energy in the spring is 0.2044. Is that useful?

JackV said:
Perhaps you should start again and give a more comprehensive description of what you have done and what you want to know.

haruspex said:
Then it is still not useful in answering your question.
You need some way to find the total energy available.
Where does the 0.94N figure come from?
The 0.94N is from multiplying the normal force of the cart (2.35 N) and the coefficient of friction (0.4).

JackV said:
Yes indeed. Consider the work done against friction.

hutchphd said:
Perhaps you should start again and give a more comprehensive description of what you have done and what you want to know.
Good idea.

hutchphd said:
I have now added all of the information that I have to the description.

JackV said:
I have now added all of the information that I have to the description.
Ok, but the spring PE is still the place to start. See post #8.

haruspex said:
Ok, but the spring PE is still the place to start. See post #8.
Thanks.

haruspex said:
Yes indeed. Consider the work done against friction.
Thanks for the help.

JackV said:
No. Without units it is utterly useless.

JackV said:
The 0.94N is from multiplying the normal force of the cart (2.35 N) and the coefficient of friction (0.4).
a coefficient of friction 0.4 is an extremely high number. This is the highest value I can find on the web for "Car tires on loose sand". With so much friction the cart likely won't move at all.
You need rolling friction, not sliding friction, and you should be able to do more than 100 times better with the friction coefficient.

1. What is the coefficient of friction and why is it important in mousetrap car design?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. In mousetrap car design, it is important because it determines how much frictional force will act against the movement of the car, affecting its speed and efficiency.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect the performance of a mousetrap car?

The higher the coefficient of friction, the more resistance there will be against the movement of the mousetrap car. This means that a higher coefficient of friction can slow down the car and make it less efficient. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction can allow the car to move faster and more efficiently.

3. What are some common problems with the coefficient of friction in mousetrap car designs?

One common problem is that the coefficient of friction may not be consistent throughout the entire surface of the moving parts of the car. This can lead to uneven movement and affect the overall performance of the car. Another problem is that the coefficient of friction may be too high, causing too much resistance and slowing down the car.

4. How can I improve the coefficient of friction in my mousetrap car design?

There are a few ways to improve the coefficient of friction in a mousetrap car design. One way is to use materials with a lower coefficient of friction, such as smooth wheels or lubricated axles. Another way is to increase the weight of the car, as this can increase the downward force and improve the grip between the wheels and the surface.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the coefficient of friction in mousetrap car designs?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the coefficient of friction in mousetrap car designs. These include the type of surface the car is moving on, the shape and size of the wheels, and the weight distribution of the car. Additionally, the precision of the car's construction and the alignment of its moving parts can also impact the coefficient of friction.