What is the purpose of Approximation?

In summary, the student is studying in IGCSE and they learned how to approximate the change in area for a small change in radius using the following methods:-δy/δx ≈ dy/dx-δA/δr ≈ dA/dr-δA ≈ dA/dr x δr
shoshuban
I am studying in IGCSE and I learned simple techniques to find, say, approximate change in Area of a circle for a small change in its radius, making use of :
δy/ δx ≈ dy/dx .

or δA/ δr ≈ dA/dr .
or δA ≈ dA/dr x δr

so what I basically have to do is find the derivative of A ( πr​2 ) , which is 2πr.
then I multiply that with the small change in radius, δr to get the approximate change in area, δA.

But my question here is, why need all of this at all, when I can simply put the old and new values of r in the original equation of A ( πr2 ) and find the exact difference by subtracting :
Change in A = π(rinitial)2 - π(rfinal)2

Why go for calculus to find an approximate value while we can easily get the accurate value without calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're quite right that in this case, you can get the exact difference by computing it. But what if you didn't actually have the function that computed the area of something? Often it's the case that we have a differential equation governing a function, but don't actually know what the function itself is. You can still compute an approximation using the differential formulas you mentioned, without having to evaluate the function itself.

But more broadly, why is it at all useful to have more than one way to do anything? Well, I would argue that we need ways to check our work. Checking our work does not consist of going through the same steps we went through before to make sure they were correct. We did those steps already! Of course they are correct! (Or are they...?) So, if we have a completely separate, parallel way to solve a problem, or approximate its solution, we can check our other solution. I am big on my students checking their work. When they have done something correctly, I want them to know that, without asking me.

Does that answer your question?

ohh thank you so much. :D

Here is another idea:

You say you "know" the area of a circle is $\pi r^2$. Let's say $r = 1$, because we made our "measuring stick" from a circle radius, and decided it was "the sacred unit".

So our circle has area $\pi$. Well, suppose someone asked you-is $\pi > 3$? How would you convince them of this?

Or suppose they asked you a subtler question:

"Which is closer to $\pi,\ \frac{22}{7}$ or $\frac{355}{113}$?"

Assuming you "know" the answer, how would you convince someone else your answer was indeed the truth?

There's really nothing special about "$\pi$", in these questions, we might well ask the same sorts of things about $\sqrt{2}$, or $\log(4)$, or $\cos(5)$.

Comparing rational numbers (fractions) is easy: we can "cross-multiply" to obtain a comparison of *integers*. Presumably, you know how to tell if one integer is bigger than another. But some "amounts" that we might compare aren't easily expressed as "fractions"...whatever are we to do to tell if one such "irrational" amount is bigger than another?

This, in a nutshell, is where "approximation" comes into its own-we may not be able to give an *exact* name to a certain "amount", but if we can approximate it, we can at least tell what it is less than, and what it is more than.

It's not *perfect*, but it's a start...

Related to What is the purpose of Approximation?

1. What is the purpose of Approximation?

The purpose of approximation is to get an estimate or an approximation of a value or result, rather than an exact calculation. It is used when the exact answer is not necessary or not possible to obtain, or when there is a large amount of data that would make exact calculation time-consuming.

2. How is Approximation used in science?

Approximation is used in science to simplify complex problems and make them more manageable. It is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics to estimate values, solve equations, and make predictions.

3. What are the advantages of using Approximation?

One advantage of using approximation is that it saves time and resources. It allows scientists to quickly get an estimate of a value or result without having to perform lengthy calculations. Additionally, it also helps in dealing with complex and uncertain data, making it a useful tool in decision-making processes.

4. Are there any limitations to using Approximation?

Yes, there are limitations to using approximation. It is not always accurate and can lead to errors if the level of approximation is not appropriate. It is also important to consider the level of precision needed for a particular problem, as using too much approximation can result in a significant difference from the exact answer.

5. Can Approximation be used in real-life situations?

Yes, approximation is commonly used in real-life situations. For example, when measuring distances, we often round up or down to the nearest unit for convenience. In finance, approximation is used in calculating interest rates and in estimating profits. In engineering, it is used to design structures and machines. Overall, approximation is a useful tool in various real-life applications.