Finding the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle

In summary, the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle when the radius increases from 3 to 3.01 cm is δp=π/50. This is obtained by using the Taylor expansion of the perimeter truncated up to the first order and the formula (dp/dr)(δr) = δp. The value of dp/dr is equal to 2π and can be used to find the change in the perimeter at the specific point of r=3 cm. Although this may seem confusing, it is a valid method for finding the change in the perimeter.
a129

Homework Statement

The radius of a circle increases from 3 to 3.01 cm. Find the approximate change in its perimeter.

Here's a link to the actual question, in case you need the answer for 6(a) to solve 6(b)
http://imgur.com/a/nQt6M

Homework Equations

Perimeter of circle = 2πr
Area of circle = πr^2

dy/dx ≈ the limit of δy/δx as δx approaches 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I only have a problem in solving 6(b).
We know that δr = 3.01-3 = 0.01cm, and so that means δr is already approaching to 0

From this we can say that dp/dr ≈ δp/δr
So to find the change in the perimeter, (dp/dr)(δr) = δp

My only problem here is to find dp/dr
We know the perimeter of circle is 2πr, so by differentiating this we get dp/dr = 2π. But I don't understand, because now I can't input the value r =3cm into dp/dr since the r isn't there anymore after the equation is differentiated. I feel like the equation would only make sense if the the value dp/dr is equated with the value r=3cm so we know the change of the perimeter at THAT exact point. Since δr= 3.01-3, the diffrence in value is so small that it is ≈ dp/dr when r=3.

My final answer would look like δp= 2π(0.01)
= π/50

It's like it makes sense but at the same time it also doesn't make sense and I feel frustrated by it. Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Taylor expansion of perimeter truncated up to the first order.
a129 said:
So to find the change in the perimeter, (dp/dr)(δr) = δp
You seem to already have the formula obtained through the step I suggested above. What prevents you from using this formula?

1. What is the formula for finding the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle?

The formula for finding the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle is 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you calculate the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle?

To calculate the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle, you need to first determine the initial and final radii of the circle. Then, use the formula 2πr to find the initial and final perimeters. Finally, subtract the initial perimeter from the final perimeter to find the approximate change.

3. Why is it important to find the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle?

Finding the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle is important because it allows us to measure the difference in size or length of a circle before and after a change. This can be useful in various applications, such as in geometry or engineering.

4. Can the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle be negative?

Yes, the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle can be negative. This means that the final perimeter is smaller than the initial perimeter, indicating a decrease in size or length of the circle.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle?

Yes, there are factors that can affect the accuracy of the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle. These include measurement errors, rounding errors, and the use of an approximation formula instead of the exact formula. It is important to consider these factors when using the approximate change in the perimeter of a circle in calculations.