What is the rate of motion in Right Ascension for the asteroid?

In summary, the conversation is discussing an Astrometry problem and the confusion over which data points to use - the values from right ascension or the values from the time index. The question is to calculate the rates of motion in Right Ascension (seconds/hour) of the asteroid. The attempted solution is to use the values from Right Ascension or Time Index, but it is pointed out that the correct units should be in seconds of arc per hour, which is different from seconds per degree.
Haseo Antares
1. Homework Statement
This is an Astrometry problem. I am not sure or how exactly to proceed:

Data:

First off, I am unsure which data points to use. Should I use the values from right ascension or the values from the time index.

1 hour = 15 degrees
24 hours = 360 degrees

Image 01 Right Ascension: 23:03:53.99
Image 02 Right Ascension: 23:03:49.17

Image 01 RA - Image 02 RA = 23:03:53.99 -23:03:49.17 = 00:00:04.82

Image 01 Time Index: 12:16:58 UTC
Image 02 Time Index: 4:39:04 UTC

Image 01 Time Index - Image 02 Time Index = 4 hours 56 minutes 2 seconds = 17,762 seconds

Question:
Calculate the rates of motion in Right Ascension (seconds/hour) of the asteroid:

Homework Equations

Rate = Distance/Time

The Attempt at a Solution

With values from Right Ascension[/B]
4.82 sec/ 15 degrees = 0.32133 (3 repeats) sec/deg

OR

With values from Time Index
17,762 sec/ 15 degrees = 1184.13 (3 repeats) sec/deg

Physics news on Phys.org
You're supposed to calculate the rates in sec of arc/hour, which is not the same units as sec (of time) / deg.

Likes Haseo Antares
Thank you for the response SteamKing.

I'm not sure I understand. Can you expand on that? I'm also confused on which value I am supposed to use - the Right Ascension value or the rime index value?

1. What is the rate of right ascension?

The rate of right ascension is a measurement used in astronomy to describe the angular speed at which an object appears to move along the celestial equator. It is measured in units of time, usually seconds per year.

2. How is the rate of right ascension calculated?

The rate of right ascension is calculated by dividing the change in the object's right ascension (expressed in hours, minutes, and seconds) by the change in time (expressed in years).

3. Why is the rate of right ascension important in astronomy?

The rate of right ascension is important because it helps astronomers track the motion of celestial objects across the night sky. It is particularly useful for predicting the future positions of stars and other objects.

4. Can the rate of right ascension change over time?

Yes, the rate of right ascension can change over time. This is due to the Earth's axial precession, which causes the celestial equator to slowly shift over time. This means that the rate of right ascension for a specific object may change slightly over the course of many years.

5. How is the rate of right ascension related to the declination of an object?

The rate of right ascension and declination are both measurements used to describe the position of an object in the night sky. While the rate of right ascension measures an object's east-west motion, declination measures its north-south motion. Together, these two measurements can pinpoint the exact location of an object in the celestial sphere.