What is the ratio of lengths for two vibrating strings with a beat frequency?

In summary, when two strings of lengths L1 and L2 (where L2 > L1) are simultaneously undergoing fundamental vibration, beats can be heard at a frequency n. The ratio of the difference between the two lengths to L1 is equal to n divided by n-f1. This can be proven by using the equation for wave in two strings and understanding the concept of beat frequency.
Hamal_Arietis

Homework Statement

Two strings are stretched tautly parallel to each other. The length of one is L1 and the length of the other is L2(>L1). When both are simultaneously made to undergo fundamental vibration, beats can be heard at a frequency n. The waves in both strings travel at the same speed. Let us denote the fundamental freqency of the string with length L1 as f1.
Find the ratio ##\frac{L_2-L_1}{L_1}##

Homework Equations

The answer is ##\frac{L_2-L_1}{L_1}=\frac{n}{n-f_1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some equation about wave in two strings:
##L_1=\frac{v}{2f_1}##
And
##L_1=i_1\frac{v}{2n};L_2=i_2\frac{v}{2n}##
But I can't solve as answer.
And What does
"When both are simultaneously made to undergo fundamental vibration, beats can be heard at a frequency n" mean?
Thanks for helping .

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up "beat frequency".

The beat frequency means F=|f1-f2| but it is definition or must prove?

Hamal_Arietis said:
The beat frequency means F=|f1-f2| but it is definition or must prove?
You can take it as given.

I want to prove this equation:
If we have 2 wave: ##y=Acos(2\pi f_1t)## and ##y'=Acos(2\pi f_2t)##
We have
$$x=y+y'=2A(cos(\pi (f_1- f_2)t)cos(\pi (f_1+f_2)t)$$
But why we don't use f=f1+f2 ?

Thanks

What is "The wave of 2 strings"?

"The wave of 2 strings" refers to a physical phenomenon in which two strings, connected at both ends, vibrate in a synchronized manner. This can be seen in musical instruments such as a guitar or violin, where the strings vibrate together to produce a single sound.

How does the wave of 2 strings occur?

The wave of 2 strings occurs when a disturbance is introduced to one of the strings. This disturbance travels along the string and causes it to vibrate. This vibration is then transferred to the second string through the connection, resulting in both strings vibrating in a synchronized manner.

What factors affect the wave of 2 strings?

The wave of 2 strings can be affected by several factors, including the tension, length, and mass of the strings. The type of material used for the strings can also play a role in the frequency and amplitude of the wave.

What are some real-world applications of the wave of 2 strings?

The wave of 2 strings has several practical applications, including in musical instruments, telecommunications, and seismology. It is also used in scientific experiments to study wave behavior and properties.

How does the wave of 2 strings differ from other types of waves?

The wave of 2 strings differs from other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves, in that it is a mechanical wave that requires a physical medium to travel through. It also differs in its ability to create a standing wave, where certain points on the strings do not move while others vibrate with a larger amplitude.