What is the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest?

In summary, the conversation involved discussing an experiment involving two different single slits and the first dark fringes observed at different angles. The question of which slit is widest and the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest was raised. The conversation then focused on using the equation sintheta = lamda/w to determine the answers, with one person plugging in an arbitrary wavelength and another person suggesting to use the equation to relate a ratio of slit widths to a ratio of sines of the angles. The conversation concluded with the person feeling confident and thanking the other for their help.
Mitchtwitchita
I'm not exactly sure how to get started on this one. Can anybody help me?...Please?

Two different single slits are used in an experiment involving one source of monochromatic light. With slit 1 in place, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 45 degrees. With slit 2, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 55 degrees.

a) Which slit is widest? Why?

b) What is the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you. Do you know any equations to do with diffraction through a slit?

The equation I've tried was sintheta = lamda/w

For a) I plugged in an arbitrary wavelength of 720 nm and found that slit ! was larger and I figure its because the first dark fringe is observed at less of an angle than slit 2. Therefore, the number of pairs of rays that destructively interfere are increased which causes the maxima to decrease.

For b) I used the arbitrary wavelength of 720 nm and plugged it in for both cases (45 degrees and 55 degrees) which resulted in a ratio of 1.17:1

Does this sound plausible to you guys?

Mitchtwitchita said:
The equation I've tried was sintheta = lamda/w
That gives the condition for the first minima. Since you're interested in the width, you can rewrite it as:
[tex]w = \lambda/\sin \theta[/tex]
For a) I plugged in an arbitrary wavelength of 720 nm and found that slit ! was larger and I figure its because the first dark fringe is observed at less of an angle than slit 2. Therefore, the number of pairs of rays that destructively interfere are increased which causes the maxima to decrease.
Since for angles between 0 and 90 degrees sin(theta) increases with angle, that equation should tell you that a bigger angle implies a narrower slit.

For b) I used the arbitrary wavelength of 720 nm and plugged it in for both cases (45 degrees and 55 degrees) which resulted in a ratio of 1.17:1
Close enough. But no need to plug in a particular value of wavelength. (Although that's perfectly OK.) Try using the equation to relate a ratio of slit widths to a ratio of sines of the angles.

Thanks Doc! You've been a big help and I think I now know what to do. Cheers!

Related to What is the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest?

1. What is the purpose of determining the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest?

The ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest is important in experiments involving light interference, as it affects the resulting diffraction pattern. It helps determine the level of coherence and allows for the calculation of the slit width itself.

2. How is the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest calculated?

The ratio is calculated by dividing the largest slit width by the smallest slit width. For example, if the largest slit width is 5 mm and the smallest is 1 mm, the ratio would be 5:1.

3. What is the significance of a higher ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest?

A higher ratio indicates a greater difference in size between the largest and smallest slit widths, which can result in a more complex diffraction pattern. This can be useful in certain experiments, but can also make it more difficult to accurately determine the characteristics of the diffracted light.

4. Can the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest be adjusted in an experiment?

Yes, the ratio can be adjusted by changing the size of the slits used in the experiment. However, this should be done carefully and with consideration of the desired outcome, as it can significantly alter the resulting diffraction pattern.

5. How does the ratio of the largest slit width to the smallest affect the accuracy of the experiment?

The ratio can affect the accuracy of the experiment by influencing the characteristics of the diffraction pattern. A higher ratio may make it more difficult to accurately measure the properties of the diffracted light, while a lower ratio may result in a simpler and easier to analyze pattern.