What is the Relationship between Arc Length and Angle Phi on a Helix?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the task of calculating the acceleration of a particle moving without friction in Earth's gravitational field on a helix. The helix is parameterized by a radius and gradient, with the angle phi representing the projection of the radius vector on the x,y plane. The relationship between arc length and angle phi is being questioned, along with the need to derive tangents, normals, and binormal vectors using the vector r(s) and calculating the end or path velocity. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a conserved quantity to simplify the problem and considering velocity expressed in coordinates other than Cartesian. The speaker also expresses their lack of approaches to solve the problem and requests hints.
sitzpillow
Dear physicist,
my task is to calculate the acceleration of a particle of mass m which moves without friction in the Earth's gravitational field on a helix:
The helix is parameterized as shown:

[tex]x(\phi)=a cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]y(\phi)=a sin \phi[/tex]
[tex]z(\phi)=c \phi[/tex]

formed with a radius a,gradient c as constants and the angle [tex]\phi[/tex] which mimics the projection of the radius vector on the x, y plane of the axis x with [tex]\phi \in 0<= \phi<\infty[/tex]

What is the relationship between the arc length s and the angle phi?
Also, I need to derivate the tangents, normals and binormal vector by using [tex]\overrightarrow{r}(s)[/tex]
and calculate the end nor the path velocity (with s (t = 0) = 0, s' (0) = 0).

I'm afraid not to have any approaches to solve the problem :/
I would appreciate every hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
sitzpillow said:
Dear physicist,
my task is to calculate the acceleration of a particle of mass m which moves without friction in the Earth's gravitational field on a helix:
The helix is parameterized as shown:

[tex]x(\phi)=a cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]y(\phi)=a sin \phi[/tex]
[tex]z(\phi)=c \phi[/tex]

formed with a radius a,gradient c as constants and the angle [tex]\phi[/tex] which mimics the projection of the radius vector on the x, y plane of the axis x with [tex]\phi \in 0<= \phi<\infty[/tex]

What is the relationship between the arc length s and the angle phi?
Also, I need to derivate the tangents, normals and binormal vector by using [tex]\overrightarrow{r}(s)[/tex]
and calculate the end nor the path velocity (with s (t = 0) = 0, s' (0) = 0).

I'm afraid not to have any approaches to solve the problem :/
I would appreciate every hint.

Can you think of a conserved quantity that might make this problem easier?

You may also want to consider velocity expressed in other than Cartesian coordinates (if that isn't giving too much help!).

@sitzpillow -- You are required to show us your efforts toward the solution before we can offer much tutorial help. Please use the hint provided by PeroK and show us your efforts...

Likes PeroK

What is acceleration on a helix?

Acceleration on a helix is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time on a curved path. It is a vector quantity that describes the change in speed and direction of an object moving along a helical path.

How is acceleration on a helix calculated?

Acceleration on a helix can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the helix. This formula applies to any point on the helix, as the acceleration changes along the curved path.

What factors affect acceleration on a helix?

The main factors that affect acceleration on a helix are the speed and radius of the helix. The greater the speed or the smaller the radius, the greater the acceleration will be. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the velocity vector also affect the acceleration.

How does acceleration on a helix differ from linear acceleration?

Acceleration on a helix is different from linear acceleration because it takes into account the change in direction of velocity. Linear acceleration only considers the change in speed, while acceleration on a helix considers both the change in speed and direction.

What are some real-world examples of acceleration on a helix?

Some real-world examples of acceleration on a helix include a car driving around a circular track, a rollercoaster moving through a loop, and a satellite orbiting around a planet. In all of these cases, the object is moving along a curved path and experiencing acceleration due to the change in direction of velocity.