What is the Relationship Between Pressure and Height in Fluid Mechanics?

In summary, the correct answer to this problem is h2 = h1 but I don't get it. According to what I understand, h2 is the height of the water level on system B, while h1 is the height of the water level on system A. Doing math, h1=h2.
Tekneek
The correct answer to this problem is h2 = h1 but I don't get it. According to what I understand,

F=p/A

So for the Tube on the left:

F1 = P/A = ([itex]\rho[/itex]*g*h1)/A1

For tube on the right:

F1 = P/A = ([itex]\rho[/itex]*g*h1)/3*A1

I get h2=3h1 (i know if you think about it this does not make sense, but i don't what i am not getting).

Attachments

• fluidmechanics.JPG
    fluidmechanics.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 794
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your solution is wrong... it should come h1=3h2...but it's the last line of the question that's bugging me... i think we got to understand h2 relative to h1...

This problem illustrates the concept of a hydraulic piston.

First of all, a small minor correction in your formula where F=P*A, not F=P/A.

Next, you have to accept the principle that for a given fixed depth a body of water will always have the same pressure everywhere. This means the pressure where the force F is applied in the left column is the same pressure at the same elevation in the right column. I think you made the mistake of equating forces which is not correct. If you equate the pressures then I think you'll see h1 = h2.

A hydraulic piston or cylinder is a way to use a small force over a large distance to move a large force over a small distance.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
paisiello2 said:
This problem illustrates the concept of a hydraulic piston.

First of all, a small minor correction in your formula where F=P*A, not F=P/A.

Next, you have to accept the principle that for a given fixed depth a body of water will always have the same pressure everywhere. This means the pressure where the force F is applied in the left column is the same pressure at the same elevation in the right column. I think you made the mistake of equating forces which is not correct. If you equate the pressures then I think you'll see h1 = h2.

A hydraulic piston or cylinder is a way to use a small force over a large distance to move a large force over a small distance.

Yeah I agree the equation i had was wrong..but how can the height of the water level on system B be equal to System A when the area on the system B is 3 times the area of system A? I mean the volume of water on both system is same..where would the extra water for system B come from?

Doing math i do get h2=h1

For system B:

Fout = 3F1
P=(3F1)/(3A1) = F1/A1
ρgh1=F1/A1
h1=F1/(A1*ρ*g)

For system A:
Fout=Fin
ρgh2=F1/A1
h2=F1/(A1*ρ*g)

So h1=h2

Last edited:
The volume of water is irrelevant in both systems. It could be the same or they could have added more water, it makes no difference to the answer.

I think you might still be trying to equate forces so starting with Fout and Fin seems confusing to me and also I think you mixed up h1 and h2 between the two systems.

Just equate the pressures P1 = P2 and I think it would answer your question immediately.

Related to What is the Relationship Between Pressure and Height in Fluid Mechanics?

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids, including liquids and gases, and their behavior under various conditions such as flow, pressure, and temperature.

2. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of airplanes, cars, and ships, water and oil pipelines, and even in the human body for blood flow and breathing.

3. How do you solve a fluid mechanics problem?

To solve a fluid mechanics problem, you would first need to identify the given variables, such as fluid properties, flow rate, and boundary conditions. Then, you would apply the relevant equations, such as Bernoulli's equation or the Navier-Stokes equations, to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow refers to smooth, orderly flow of a fluid, where the layers of the fluid move in parallel without mixing. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is chaotic and unpredictable, with the fluid mixing and swirling in different directions.

5. How does fluid density affect fluid mechanics?

Fluid density plays a crucial role in fluid mechanics as it affects the fluid's behavior under different conditions. For example, a denser fluid will have a higher resistance to flow, while a less dense fluid will flow more easily. Density also affects the pressure and velocity of the fluid.