What is the Relationship Between Solar Wind and Kinetic Energy?

In summary, the question asks for the rate at which the solar wind carries kinetic energy away from the sun. This can be calculated by using the formula KE=(1/2)mv^2 and the equation for mass loss of the sun. The resulting wattage can then be converted into a fraction of the sun's luminosity in photons.
scotshocker

Homework Statement

At what rate does the solar wind carry kinetic energy away from the sun? Give your result first in watts, then as a fraction of the Sun's luminosity in photons, L=3.8*10^26 W

Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)mv^2
mass loss of sun- Msunloss=4πr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is one of those problems that seems so simple I am second guessing myself. Is it really as simple as input the mass loss of the sun in for my m in the KE formula and then dividing it by a second to find the wattage and then converting into luminosity?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know v and ρ: yes.

1. What is solar wind?

Solar wind is a stream of charged particles, mostly protons and electrons, that are constantly flowing from the sun. It is a result of high temperatures and magnetic activity on the sun's surface.

2. How does solar wind affect Earth?

Solar wind can interact with Earth's magnetic field, causing auroras and disrupting satellite and communication systems. It can also affect the Earth's atmosphere and weather patterns.

3. How is kinetic energy related to solar wind?

Solar wind carries kinetic energy in the form of high-speed particles. This energy can be transferred to other objects, such as Earth's magnetic field, causing changes in their motion and behavior.

4. Can solar wind be harnessed as a source of energy?

Currently, there are no practical ways to harness solar wind as a source of energy on Earth. However, it is being studied as a potential source of energy for spacecraft and future space missions.

5. How does solar wind affect the solar system?

Solar wind has a significant impact on the entire solar system, shaping the structure and dynamics of planetary magnetospheres, as well as influencing the formation and evolution of comets and other small bodies.