What is the relationship between titrations and starting pH?

• Thread starter brake4country
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, titrations are a type of experiment used to determine the concentration of an unknown substance by reacting it with a known substance. The starting pH, or initial acidity or basicity, of the solution being titrated is important as it can affect the accuracy of the results. It is crucial to maintain a consistent starting pH in order to accurately determine the endpoint of the titration and calculate the concentration of the unknown substance. Titrations and starting pH have a direct relationship, as the starting pH can greatly impact the results and accuracy of the experiment.
brake4country

Homework Statement

What was the concentration of acid S before the titration?

Homework Equations

MaVa=MbVb

The Attempt at a Solution

So for this problem, the solution manual suggests that we use the formula above to solve for the pH of acid S before the titration. But why do we use the concentration of the base before we even add it? Wouldn't it be easier to locate the pH on the graph (which is approximately 3.8) and take 10^-3.8 = 1.6 x 10^-4?

The correct answer is B. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20160111_100928[1].jpg
    20160111_100928[1].jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
pH doesn't help for the concentration if the acid isn't completely dissociated into H+ and Ac-.
What concentration would you find for acid S from the pH ?
What would you find for acid T ? pH and concentration ?

We don't care about initial pH at all, just about the stoichiometry of the reaction. Do you know how the titration works? Why is part of the curve so steep?

Yes, I understand how it works. The steepest part of the graph is where the equivalence point i and where the pH rises the fastest. Contrarily, the half equivalence point (the horizontal portion) is where the pH changes the least with increased base. But how are we to determine the stoichiometry of the reaction when we know nothing about the acid?

BvU said:
pH doesn't help for the concentration if the acid isn't completely dissociated into H+ and Ac-.
What concentration would you find for acid S from the pH ?
What would you find for acid T ? pH and concentration ?
That is where I am confused. The directions say that we start with 50 mL of acid S and the titrant is 0.1 M NaOH. With MA as the unknown, I came up with:
MAVA=MBVB
(0.050L)(MA) = (0.1)(VB)

But why incorporate any base when the question asks "what is the concentration of acid S before the titration"?

Don't want to spoil your exercise. Try to move on to 814 and perhaps you'll see. (and note Borek's post #3)

I think I see what is going on here. The concentration of S is unknown and we have to use the volume of the NaOH added at the equivalence point to determine that.
So our MA= what we are solving for
VA=(50 mL)
MB=0.1 M
VB=50 mL)
MAVA=MBVB
MA=0.1 M

The question was a bit misleading but I think I get it now.

BvU said:
Don't want to spoil your exercise. Try to move on to 814 and perhaps you'll see. (and note Borek's post #3)
I understand 814. We can find the Ka from the pKa at the half eq. point. So, if pH = 4 at half eq. point, then ka = 10^-pH = 1x10^-4.

Why at the half-eq point ? They ask for the Ka of the acid ...

Borek said:
We don't care about initial pH at all, just about the stoichiometry of the reaction. Do you know how the titration works? Why is part of the curve so steep?
Right. Because that is what is unknown. Haven't done too many titrations before but I think I get it. We can only calculate the unknown starting concentration of S when we reach the equivalence point.

BvU said:
Why at the half-eq point ? They ask for the Ka of the acid ...
Right. So I used Henderson Hasselbach equation and converted pKa to Ka. Have to be quick on timed exams. Is there another way to calculate the Ka without using HHB?

Reading pKa from a half-equivalence seems to me the best approach here.

Likes brake4country
OK, sorry. Out of my league. Found http://chemistry.oregonstate.edu/courses/ch421/Previous%20pages/Course%20Docs%20Fall%202006/Henderson.pdf interesting !

Likes brake4country

1. What is a titration and why is it important in scientific experiments?

A titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another solution. It is important in scientific experiments because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of unknown substances, making it a valuable tool in analytical chemistry.

2. What is the starting pH and how does it affect the titration process?

The starting pH is the initial pH of the solution being titrated. It is important because it can affect the rate of the titration and the point at which the endpoint is reached. A starting pH that is too high or too low can result in an inaccurate measurement.

3. How do you calculate the equivalence point in a titration?

The equivalence point is the point at which the moles of the acid and base are equal, and the reaction is complete. It can be calculated by using the formula: Moles of Acid = Moles of Base. This can be determined by plotting a titration curve or by using an indicator that changes color at the equivalence point.

4. What is the purpose of using a buffer solution in titrations?

A buffer solution is used in titrations to maintain a constant pH level during the titration process. This is important because it ensures that the reaction occurs at a consistent rate, allowing for more accurate measurements to be taken.

5. How does the choice of indicator affect the accuracy of a titration?

The choice of indicator can greatly affect the accuracy of a titration. An indicator that changes color close to the equivalence point will result in a more accurate endpoint determination. Using an indicator that changes color too early or too late can lead to a significant difference in the calculated concentration of the solution being titrated.