What is the req.thickness of sheet metal to prevent buckling

In summary, This project involves making a 5ft*3ft*4ft aluminium/stainless steel sheet metal box at the back of a slow moving pedal vehicle. There is no load on the sheet metal, except from small vibrations from road travel. Pop riveted joints using silicon or mastic sealant are recommended in order to reduce noise and flapping.
sunny marella
My project involves making a 5 ft*3 ft*4 ft (l*b*h) aluminium/stainless steel sheet metal box at the back of a slow moving pedal vehicle. There is no load on the sheet metal, except from small vibrations from road travel.

My question is: 1. What gauge of sheet metal thickness would be enough to prevent buckling from its own weight? How do I calculate this without experience?
2. Would you recommend using a stiffener just for a higher factor of safety? If so, which type?

As an aside: Can one join the aluminium box without welds/braze i.e just using hems, lock seams etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
sunny marella said:
My project involves making a 5 ft*3 ft*4 ft (l*b*h) aluminium/stainless steel sheet metal box at the back of a slow moving pedal vehicle. There is no load on the sheet metal, except from small vibrations from road travel.

My question is: 1. What gauge of sheet metal thickness would be enough to prevent buckling from its own weight? How do I calculate this without experience?
2. Would you recommend using a stiffener just for a higher factor of safety? If so, which type?

As an aside: Can one join the aluminium box without welds/braze i.e just using hems, lock seams etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the PF.

What is the platform/box for?

It is the topology of the surface rather than the thickness of the material that confers resistance to flapping. Machines for working sheet metal are optimised for cutting and forming straight seams in flat sheet. That leads to inherently noisy structures.

Notice that large flat sheets sometimes have a slight X pattern bent onto their face. That is there to prevent flapping and can be formed with available straight bending equipment. The pattern generates four curved surfaces. Parallel corrugations also increase rigidity.

Membranes that are doubly curved tend not to flap like flat sheets. To get a double curved surface in a membrane you need a minimum of four corner points, that are not co-planar, then tension the membrane.

Aluminium boxes are usually built with folded corners and TIG or MIG welded seams. But for your one-off production, I would consider pop riveted joints with a silicon or mastic sealant in the seam that will also quieten the box.

Design your box to have slightly curved or corrugated faces, i.e. parts of an 'S' shaped, cylindrical or conical profile. That should prevent flapping of flat faces. You may need to cut and bend the seams by hand.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What is the platform/box for?

Apologies for not replying earlier. Thank you for your kind reply. The platform and box are placed behind a mobile 3-wheeled vehicle i.e in between the rear 2 wheels. The purpose of the box is to store refrigerated food, which would then be heated using a gas stove placed at the back, and sold as fast food. A draft of the box can be seen from the image I've uploaded along with this post.The red part you see is the side door for ingress of the boxes. The orange door you see is a pivoted door that can be swung-up and pushed inside.

The box is divided into 2 compartments: one to store the refrigerated food in boxes and another that houses a cylindrical gas cylinder and stove.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 538
Baluncore said:
It is the topology of the surface rather than the thickness of the material that confers resistance to flapping. Machines for working sheet metal are optimised for cutting and forming straight seams in flat sheet. That leads to inherently noisy structures.

Notice that large flat sheets sometimes have a slight X pattern bent onto their face. That is there to prevent flapping and can be formed with available straight bending equipment. The pattern generates four curved surfaces. Parallel corrugations also increase rigidity.

Membranes that are doubly curved tend not to flap like flat sheets. To get a double curved surface in a membrane you need a minimum of four corner points, that are not co-planar, then tension the membrane.

Aluminium boxes are usually built with folded corners and TIG or MIG welded seams. But for your one-off production, I would consider pop riveted joints with a silicon or mastic sealant in the seam that will also quieten the box.

Design your box to have slightly curved or corrugated faces, i.e. parts of an 'S' shaped, cylindrical or conical profile. That should prevent flapping of flat faces. You may need to cut and bend the seams by hand.

Apologies for not replying earlier. Thank you for your kind reply.

FYI: I have decided to use a 1.22 mm Mild Steel sheet-metal, because of the non-availability of 20 gauge aluminium in our village and a lack of pop-rivet guns.

When you mention a slight X pattern on face, does one use the term 'x-shape surface seam' in the market catalog? From my internet research, it seems making seams on sheet-metal requires the use of a die and a press, which are not available in the workshop. Any alternatives to make surface seams? For now, I am just welding-in rectangular profile stiffeners for a gap of every 18 inches.

Attachments

• isometric view.jpg
    isometric view.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 452

1. What is the definition of sheet metal?

Sheet metal is a type of metal that is formed into thin, flat pieces and is commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries.

2. What is the purpose of sheet metal?

The purpose of sheet metal is to provide strength, durability, and protection in various applications, such as roofing, walls, and structural components. It can also be used for decorative purposes.

3. How is sheet metal thickness measured?

Sheet metal thickness is typically measured in gauge or millimeters (mm). The gauge system ranges from 8 to 30, with a lower gauge number indicating a thicker sheet. However, the exact thickness of a sheet metal can vary depending on the type of metal and its intended use.

4. What is buckling and why does it occur in sheet metal?

Buckling is a structural failure that occurs when a sheet metal is under compressive stress and starts to bend or deform. It is caused by the material's inability to withstand the applied load, leading to instability and collapse.

5. How do you determine the required thickness of sheet metal to prevent buckling?

The required thickness of sheet metal to prevent buckling depends on various factors, including the type of metal, load, and span of the sheet. Engineers use mathematical equations and simulations to determine the optimal thickness for different applications and ensure the sheet metal can withstand the applied load without buckling.