What is the Resistance of Resistor X?

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the ohmmeter reads 20.2 ohm for the resistor network shown in the figure. The resistance of the resistor X is determined to be 46.8 ohm using the equation (1/R_eq) = (1/R_x) +(1/115.0 ohm) +(1/130.0 ohm) + (1/85 ohm). The 75.0 ohm and 55.0 ohm resistors are in series, while X, R_75+55, R_115, and R_85 are in parallel.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

For the resistor network shown in the figure, the ohmmeter reads 20.2 ohm.

yf_Figure_26_491.jpg

What is the resistance of the resistor X?

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I’m uncertain if I tackled the system correctly, so please guide me on any misconceptions in my workings.

For an ohmmeter, I didn’t come across any special formulas like for a voltmeter, and I may have not addressed any typical properties for ohmmeter readings . . .

Are the 75.0 ohm and 55.0 ohm in series? And then X; R_75+55; R_115, and R_85 will be in parallel?

(1/R_eq) = (1/R_x) +(1/115.0 ohm) +(1/130.0 ohm) + (1/85 ohm)
(1/R_x) = (1/20.2 ohm) – (1/115.0 ohm) –(1/130 ohm) – (1/85 ohm)
= 0.02135 1/ohm

R_x = 1/0.0214 1/ohm = 46.8 ohm ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me!

Your approach to solving the resistor network is correct. The 75.0 ohm and 55.0 ohm resistors are indeed in series, and the X resistor is in parallel with the equivalent resistance of the 115.0 ohm, 130.0 ohm, and 85.0 ohm resistors. Your calculation of the equivalent resistance is also accurate, resulting in a value of 46.8 ohms for the X resistor. This means that the X resistor has a resistance of 46.8 ohms, which is the value that the ohmmeter reads. Well done!

Related to What is the Resistance of Resistor X?

1. What is the purpose of a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. It is designed to resist the flow of electricity and reduce the amount of energy that is passed through it. This helps to control the voltage and prevent damage to other components in the circuit.

2. How do I determine the resistance value of a resistor?

The resistance value of a resistor is usually indicated by colored bands on the body of the resistor. You can use a color code chart to decipher the value of the resistor based on the colors of the bands. Alternatively, you can use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance directly.

3. What is the difference between a fixed resistor and a variable resistor?

A fixed resistor has a set resistance value that does not change, while a variable resistor allows you to adjust the resistance to a desired value. Variable resistors are often used in circuits that require fine-tuning of the resistance, such as in volume controls or dimmer switches.

4. How do I use an ohmmeter to measure resistance?

An ohmmeter is a device used to measure the resistance of a component. To use it, you must first turn off the power to the circuit and disconnect the resistor. Then, connect the leads of the ohmmeter to each end of the resistor and read the resistance value on the display. Make sure to select the appropriate range on the ohmmeter for accurate measurement.

5. Can I use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance of any component?

No, an ohmmeter can only be used to measure the resistance of passive components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It cannot be used to measure the resistance of active components, such as transistors or diodes, as they require a power source to function.