What is the result of connecting two identical storage batteries?

In summary, two identical storage batteries in parallel can supply twice the total charge before they run down.
Perseverence

Homework Statement

Number 9 page 38 Sterling
What is the result of connecting two identical storage batteries in parallel in a circuit?[/B]

Homework Equations

Q/V=C
V=I R

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is that the voltage is the same but twice the total charge compared to the Circuit of a single battery.

I don't understand how total charge can change but voltage does not change proportionately. Isn't it a property of capacitance that charging voltage change proportionately together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perseverence said:

Homework Statement

Number 9 page 38 Sterling
What is the result of connecting two identical storage batteries in parallel in a circuit?[/B]

Homework Equations

Q/V=C
V=I R

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is that the voltage is the same but twice the total charge compared to the Circuit of a single battery.

I don't understand how total charge can change but voltage does not change proportionately. Isn't it a property of capacitance that charging voltage change proportionately together?
It is very difficult to give you any help on this without knowing what the problem is that you are trying to solve. Could you give the complete problem statement, please?

tnich said:
It is very difficult to give you any help on this without knowing what the problem is that you are trying to solve. Could you give the complete problem statement, please?
This is the entire question as I have written it. I have attached a picture of the question so that you can see it
20180412_001820-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20180412_001820-1.jpg
    20180412_001820-1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 677
Perseverence said:
This is the entire question as I have written it. I have attached a picture of the question so that you can see itView attachment 223908
What is the result of connecting two identical storage batteries in parallel in a circuit?

tnich said:
Wow. If you feel like the question was incomplete as written, imagine how frustrating it was for me. LOL[emoji33]

Perhaps I'm wrong but is "storage battery" another term for capacitor? If so, I believe the capacitance is double as they are in parallel so you add the capacitance of each "storage battery" together. Q/V=C 2Q/V=2C. Voltage must remain the same since they are in parallel. If I'm wrong I apologize T_T

Perseverence said:
Wow. If you feel like the question was incomplete as written, imagine how frustrating it was for me. LOL[emoji33]
I see what you mean. I don't think it is a well-posed question. Here is what I think it means. When you have two identical batteries in parallel, then the pair of batteries have the potential to supply twice as much total charge before they run down. So in a circuit with resistors, they might last twice as long.
For the case you mention, if the batteries are being used to charge a capacitor with a large capacitance, then the batteries may run down before they fully charge the capacitor. In that case, the voltage supplied by the batteries would start to decrease and then some equilibrium would be reached with the capacitor. The two battery circuit could supply more charge to the capacitor, but it might not end up being twice as much, depending on where the equilibrium points are.

pokemon123 said:
Perhaps I'm wrong but is "storage battery" another term for capacitor? If so, I believe the capacitance is double as they are in parallel so you add the capacitance of each "storage battery" together. Q/V=C 2Q/V=2C. Voltage must remain the same since they are in parallel. If I'm wrong I apologize T_T
I think your interpretation makes sense - a lot more sense than the original question as stated.

pokemon123 said:
Thank you to everyone for your explanation. It makes sense now. I'm glad to hear that the question was a bit confusing and that I'm not just going crazy.

1. What is the result of connecting two identical storage batteries?

The result of connecting two identical storage batteries is that the overall voltage will double while the capacity remains the same. This means that the batteries will last twice as long before needing to be recharged.

2. Will connecting two identical storage batteries increase the overall power output?

No, connecting two identical storage batteries will not increase the overall power output. The power output is determined by the voltage and current, and connecting two identical batteries will only increase the voltage.

3. Is there a limit to how many identical storage batteries can be connected?

Yes, there is a limit to how many identical storage batteries can be connected. The limit is determined by the capacity of the batteries and the maximum current they can handle. Connecting too many batteries can cause them to overheat and potentially cause damage.

4. Will connecting two identical storage batteries affect their individual lifespans?

No, connecting two identical storage batteries will not affect their individual lifespans. As long as the batteries are of good quality and connected properly, they will continue to function as normal.

5. Can connecting two identical storage batteries be dangerous?

Connecting two identical storage batteries can be dangerous if not done properly. If the batteries have different voltages or are connected in series instead of parallel, it can cause them to overheat and potentially catch fire. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when connecting batteries.