What is the resultant vector electric field at the point P?

In summary, the problem asks to find the resultant electric field at point P, given three charges (q) located at specific points. To solve this, the superposition principle is used to sum the individual electric fields caused by each charge. It is important to note that electric fields are vectors, and thus need to be added vector-wise. The formula for electric field is E=q/(4πεo r2) and the final answer will depend on the direction of the field, which can be determined by drawing a diagram. It is also important to note that the electric field is proportional to 1/r2, not 1/(1/r2).
Freya

Homework Statement

There are 3 charges, each denoted q, the first at (0,a), the second at (0,0) and finally one at (b,0). What is the resultant electric field at point P, (b,a)?

Homework Equations

E[/B]=q/(4πεo r2) for a point charge

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I need to use the superposition principle and sum the fields caused by the individual charges but I'm not sure whether I need to consider the fact that their fields won't necessarily be in the same direction.

My attempt gave me
E= q/(4πεo (1/a2 + 1/b2 + 1/(a2 + b2)) in the direction the same as sqrt(a2 + b2).

Thanks for any help, I've been debating this with friends.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again,

You really need to make a drawing. ##\vec E## is a vector, as is ##\vec F = q\vec E##. Fields add up, so you can calculate the forces separately and then add them up. Vector-wise, as is the habit when dealing with forces !

Oh, and ##\sqrt{a^2+b^2}## has no direction! It's a number, a scalar.

Oh, and E ##\propto## 1/r2, not 1/ ( 1/r2 )

Related to What is the resultant vector electric field at the point P?

What is the resultant vector electric field at the point P?

The resultant vector electric field at the point P is the sum of all the individual electric fields at that point. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each electric field to determine the overall effect at that specific location.

How is the resultant vector electric field calculated?

The resultant vector electric field is calculated using vector addition. This involves adding the components of each individual electric field (magnitude and direction) to determine the final magnitude and direction of the resultant electric field at the point P.

What factors affect the resultant vector electric field at the point P?

The resultant vector electric field at the point P is affected by the magnitude and direction of each individual electric field, as well as the distance between the point P and the sources of the electric fields. Other factors such as the medium through which the electric fields are passing can also have an impact.

Can the resultant vector electric field at the point P ever be zero?

Yes, the resultant vector electric field at the point P can be zero if the individual electric fields are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. In this case, they will cancel each other out and result in a net electric field of zero at the point P.

How does the resultant vector electric field relate to electric potential?

The resultant vector electric field and electric potential are closely related. The electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. The direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the direction of the electric potential gradient. Therefore, the resultant electric field at a point P is in the direction of the steepest decrease in electric potential at that point.