What is the role of friction in Newton's Laws?

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a question involving friction. They had already attempted the solution and drawn a free body diagram, but were unsure about the role of static and kinetic friction in the computation. The expert explained that the horizontal component of force must be greater than the maximal static friction in order for motion to occur, and clarified the difference between static and kinetic friction. The student then realized their mistake and corrected their computation, resulting in the correct answer.
KiNGGeexD
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389194813.781348.jpg

Hi I am stuck with a question which I have attached a photo of, it is one involving friction! I have done a few of these questions already and find it is when I am defining forces etc it's where I go wrong, not the easy computational part:(

I also have attached my attempt at the solution and have drawn my free body diagram as clear as possible:)Any help would be great:) thanks
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389195068.087240.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no mistake in your attempt so far.

Excellent I shall continue onwards and reply shortly:)

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389195983.885812.jpg
Ok I went on and done this to find the acceleration but the model answer is 3.71 m/s^2

In your computation you assumed that static friction will not be strong enough to prevent motion. Part (a) of the problem required you to determine whether this was the case.

It is not strong enough

It is the two fractions which are confusing me, kinetic friction is the friction between two moving bodies and static is between two non moving bodies would there be a case where both would have to come into a computation?

Can you demonstrate that?

I did not see #7 when I wrote #8. Please explain how you determined that static friction was not strong enough to prevent motion. That will help clarify what you confusion really is.

So for the block to move mg sinθ must be greater than static friction?

Sorry F cosθ

Yes, the horizontal component of force must be greater than the maximal static friction. The maximal static friction is given by ## \mu_s N ##.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389197443.806439.jpg

I agree with your result, but it is not correct to write ## F \cos \theta - \text{fr} = 0 ##. You should write ## F \cos \theta - \text{fr} > 0 ##.

Check what value you used for μ.

I put 0.2 into your earlier equation and got 3.7 as the answer.

Oh! Haha I think I've got it now lol

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other and move against each other.

What are the types of friction?

There are four types of friction: static, sliding, rolling, and fluid. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other. Sliding friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding past each other. Rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface. Fluid friction occurs when an object moves through a fluid, such as air or water.

How is friction related to Newton's laws of motion?

Friction is related to Newton's laws of motion because it is a force that acts on an object and can affect its motion. It is specifically related to Newton's first law, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, such as friction.

What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on the type of surfaces, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Friction can also be affected by temperature and the presence of lubricants.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface between two objects. It can also be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction or by applying a force in the opposite direction of motion.