What is the Schedule for the 7th Aruban PF Conference?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conference
In summary: It's in the Caribbean, north of Venezuela and near the coast of South America. And yes, it is near Tierra Del Sol.
Jimmy Snyder
OK boys and girls, it's that time of year again. I put out a call for papers and got a good response. Here is the schedule.
April 27 - Arrival, orientation
April 28 - 8:00 am - 4:00pm: Heat flows in vegetable matter - turbo
April 29 - 8:00 am - 4:00pm: Large scale smallness - micromass
April 30 - 8:00 am - 4:00pm: Broken symmetry - Evo
May 1 - 8:00 am - noon: How to make a million dollars from your internet business - Greg
noon - 12:15 pm: beach
12:15 pm - 4:00 pm: Conservative forces - Russ Waters
May 2 - 8:00 am - 4:00 pm: Birth and Marriage in 19th century Russian Poland - Borek
May 3 - 8:00 am - 4:00 pm: The effect of lasers on calcium oxylate - rhody
May 4 - Disorientation, return home.

I'm sorry, but I won't be able to attend any of the lectures, I'll be occupied elsewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh, only 15 minnutes of beach scheduled?

:frown:

He's skipping all of the lectures, even mine. :cry:

I've got my sunscreen packed already! :blushing:

Last edited:
Don't forget we also need to vote for a new General Discussion mentor!

Runs from Evo.

Return tickets Warsaw-Aruba for two people are $3k :grumpy:

Evo said:
He's skipping all of the lectures, even mine.

And mine! I was going to bring habanero chili relish (assuming I could slip it past TSA).

With my luck, I'd end up getting waterboarded in Gitmo.

micromass said:
Don't forget we also need to vote for a new General Discussion mentor!

Runs from Evo.
*drops a 400 lb tuna on the small tumor*

Borek said:
Return tickets Warsaw-Aruba for two people are $3k :grumpy:

Not if you book them through the PF.

I thought Greg already announced the PF/Travelocity promotion...:approve:

Evo said:
*drops a 400 lb tuna on the small tumor*

Hmmm, due to a serious head injury, I will be unable to hold my conference. I will ask some guys in the philosophy forum to give some talks.

My parents arrived there last night They're at the north end of the island, well technically it is the north-west.

The scary thing is, I have really been there and swore I saw some of the PF gang there, must have been hallucinating I guess.
Evo, sorry we just missed being hit by lightning and dodging falling PF initiation fish from a water spout. It was a wild vacation.
That's why I am making no plans for a return visit, sorry guys the risks are just too high.

Rhody...

Jimmy Snyder said:
OK boys and girls, it's that time of year again. I put out a call for papers and got a good response. Here is the schedule.
May 1 - 8:00 am - noon: How to make a million dollars from your internet business - Greg
May 2 - 8:00 am - 4:00 pm: Birth and Marriage in 19th century Russian Poland - Borek

I'm sorry, but I won't be able to attend any of the lectures, I'll be occupied elsewhere.

Don't you ever want to go anywhere else?

I don't see my lecture on "Pots and Pans: The Poor Man's Rock Band."
It's VERY informational.

Ivan Seeking said:
Don't you ever want to go anywhere else?
I own a timeshare down there.

Drakkith said:
I don't see my lecture on "Pots and Pans: The Poor Man's Rock Band."
It's VERY informational.
I'll see if I can pencil you in. There does seem to be a 15 minute slot available.

Jimmy Snyder said:

I don't know where Aruba is (and I don't feel like looking it up), but I think it's an island not too far from the US mainland. I once knew a guy who said he was from Aruba. His girlfriend (or wife, I'm not sure which) and I became good friends. He got drunk a lot. I remember telling him one night that I read that American Indians (and, I supposed, native Arubans) were of the mongoloid race, descendents of Asians who crossed the Bering land bridge thousands of years ago. He said he thought I was full of it. Maybe so. But his wife (or girlfriend, I'm not sure which) thought it made sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
I own a timeshare down there.

Is it near Tierra Del Sol?

ThomasT said:
I don't know where Aruba is (and I don't feel like looking it up), but I think it's an island not too far from the US mainland. I once knew a guy who said he was from Aruba. His girlfriend (or wife, I'm not sure which) and I became good friends. He got drunk a lot. I remember telling him one night that I read that American Indians (and, I supposed, native Arubans) were of the mongoloid race, descendents of Asians who crossed the Bering land bridge thousands of years ago. He said he thought I was full of it. Maybe so. But his wife (or girlfriend, I'm not sure which) thought it made sense.
It depends on what you call not too far. The island is just off the coast of Venezuala. The original inhabitants were probably of the Arawak tribe but the record is not completely clear. When the Europeans arrived, they were more interested in exploitation than anthropology and most of the evidence got destroyed. As for the origin of the American population in general, I suppose there are only four possibilities.
1. Two separate evolutions.
2. Westward crossing of a supposed Bering land bridge.
3. Eastward crossing of a supposed Bering land bridge.
4. Aliens did it.
I'm more interested in exploitation than anthropology myself, but I think possibility #3 is the theory enjoying favor among scientists at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin_Axion said:
Is it near Tierra Del Sol?
Baby beach is near Tierra Del Sol. We are at the Marriott Surf Club which is even closer.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I'll see if I can pencil you in. There does seem to be a 15 minute slot available.

That will take up the beach slot...

I suggest that we do a conference in St Thomas in March '14 at Blue Beards Castle.

http://www.bluebeards-castle.com/

Jimmy Snyder said:

Excellent! I expect everyone to bring their own pot and/or pan along with an appropriate utensil to play with. I hear egg beaters make very unique sounds.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Baby beach is near Tierra Del Sol. We are at the Marriott Surf Club which is even closer.

True, the Ritz is being built right beside it.

Kevin_Axion said:
True, the Ritz is being built right beside it.
This is the first I heard of it. I went on the net and saw some pictures of the construction site. Between the Surf Club and the Ritz there are two other resorts, both run by Marriott. I doubt that we will be bothered by the noise and other disruption while we are in our own resort. However, we like to walk north along the beach to the fisher's huts. I don't know if we will still be able to do that.

One nice thing about Aruba for me is the fact that my blood pressure falls to normal as soon as I get off the plane. Without my meds, my bp is 160/100, very high. with meds I go down to 120/70. But in Aruba it goes to 110/60 without meds. The first time I went there I didn't know that was going to happen. My bp went so low that I fainted while I was by the pool. One instant I was drying myself off, then next I awoke with the resort medical staff surrounding me.

Jimmy Snyder said:
This is the first I heard of it. I went on the net and saw some pictures of the construction site. Between the Surf Club and the Ritz there are two other resorts, both run by Marriott. I doubt that we will be bothered by the noise and other disruption while we are in our own resort. However, we like to walk north along the beach to the fisher's huts. I don't know if we will still be able to do that.

One nice thing about Aruba for me is the fact that my blood pressure falls to normal as soon as I get off the plane. Without my meds, my bp is 160/100, very high. with meds I go down to 120/70. But in Aruba it goes to 110/60 without meds. The first time I went there I didn't know that was going to happen. My bp went so low that I fainted while I was by the pool. One instant I was drying myself off, then next I awoke with the resort medical staff surrounding me.
I wonder if my insurance will cover a trip to Aruba as medical treatment for my BP?

How do I contact the organizers to set up an officially recognized satellite symposium? It would be on the neurologic effects of grain distillates with breakout workshops on the influence of parabolic surfaces manufactured from wood pulp, the gustatory perceptions of mixing with plant ovary extracts, and relevance of proximity to chlorinated dihydrogen monoxide.

Jimmy Snyder said:

I hope you will at least come to our new millionaires party.

This year's conference was a total failure. None of the speakers showed and so all of the talks were cancelled. Our return flight wasn't until yesterday so we had to spend an entire week there. We were hustled into a timeshare resort where there was nothing to do except they did have a pool, a Jacuzzi, and a lazy river. Also, it was on the beach where they had parasailing, windsurfing, and water sleds. But very little else. If you wanted to go jetskiing, view the fish from a submarine, or charter boat fishing, then you had to take a bus to other places on the island. I won't even mention the horse-riding, or ATVs you can rent. And the natural bridge has fallen down. Fortunately there are great restaurants everywhere, or we might have starved to death. I particularly recommend one called Cilo (CIty LOunge) if you are ever stuck on this so-called Happy Island. They buy their fish from the nearby charter boats so it's quite fresh.

I passed two kidney stones while I was there. I don't think it's because of the Jacuzzi. However, they did have industrial strength jets (these go to eleven), and they are aimed directly at the kidneys when you sit down.

Aruba is a colony of the Netherlands. Don't you think it's inspirational that the Netherlanders, the Hollanders, and the Dutch all live in harmony there? Well anyway, they celebrate Queen's day in Aruba, but since the Queen was born in January when it's bitter cold in Aruba (it can dip below 81F), the Queen celebrates her mother's birthday instead. That's in April. So while we were there we stood in the reviewing stand while a parade went by. There were some dignitaries there, probably from the Netherlands, but I couldn't find out who they were.

While we were there we met a boy who plays basketball with my son. Just by coincidence we stayed at the same resort at the same time.

If you ever find yourself on this island as a result of getting lost or shipwrecked or perhaps for some other reason, you will need to know the local lingo. It's called Papiamento and is a creole of Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, and a little bit of English spoken slowly and loudly. Here are some handy phrases.

Yes, that bikini does make you look fat. = Sí, esei bikini hasi abo wak diki.
Waiter, there's no umbrella in my drink. = Weiter, nò paraplü den mi bebe.
Does this bus go to New Jersey? = Esaki bùs bai na Nobo Jersey?
What day is it? = Kí día ta e?
Who cares? = Kén sorru

LOL.
(I'm one or either of those racial minorities.)

Sounds like a harrowing week Jimmy. Did you find the bus to NJ?

What is the Schedule for the 7th Aruban PF Conference?

The schedule for the 7th Aruban PF Conference will be released closer to the event date. Please check the conference website for updates.

When is the 7th Aruban PF Conference taking place?

The 7th Aruban PF Conference will take place on [insert date(s) here].

Where is the 7th Aruban PF Conference being held?

The 7th Aruban PF Conference will be held at [insert location here].

What is the theme of the 7th Aruban PF Conference?

The theme of the 7th Aruban PF Conference is [insert theme here].

How do I register for the 7th Aruban PF Conference?

Registration for the 7th Aruban PF Conference can be done through the conference website. Early bird registration discounts are available until [insert date here].