What is the significance of this graphic (statistics)

In summary, the FM Global Resilience Index is a risk calculator for businesses that ranks countries based on their economic resilience. The dots on the horizontal graphic represent each country's risk factor from poorest on the left to highest on the right. Clicking on the dots reveals additional information about each country. The shape of the clusters in the horizontal layout below the map is simply a way of stacking the dots without overlap for easier visualization.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
The linked page has a graphic that seems to have an interesting pattern, but its significance is not quite clear.
Physics news on Phys.org
Its a risk calculator for businesses:

https://www.fmglobal.com/research-and-resources/tools-and-resources/resilienceindex

You decide to setup shop in some country based on what it tells your the risk is.

https://www.continuitycentral.com/i...e-resilience-of-nations-business-environments

Btw, I found this info with a simple Google search.

The dots just represent countries risk factor from poorest on the left to the highest on the right,

If you click on the show factors additional dot charts show up. Notice each dot corresponds to a country on the map.

These are just cute ways of representing data to catch your attention.

Personally, I liked Hans Rosling's presentation of population growth in the World:

Is there any significance to the shape of each little cluster in the horizontal layout below the map? For example, you have some clusters that look like horizontal Christmas trees. Within each tree you have vertical curved groups of dots. Does this mean anything?

I think it was just a way of stacking them without an overlap on a single line so you could see their proximity and you could hover over them or click them for more info.

I don't see any other order other than left to right lowest to highest with no overlap.

1. What is the purpose of using statistics in a graphic?

Statistics are used in a graphic to visually represent data and make it easier to understand and interpret. They can help to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data.

2. How does a graphic with statistics help in decision making?

A graphic with statistics can provide a clear and concise representation of data, allowing for easier comparison and analysis. This can help in making informed decisions based on the data presented.

3. What types of statistics are commonly used in graphics?

Commonly used statistics in graphics include measures of central tendency (such as mean, median, and mode), measures of variability (such as range and standard deviation), and correlation coefficients.

4. How do you determine the significance of a graphic with statistics?

The significance of a graphic with statistics can be determined by examining the data and the relationships displayed. It is important to consider the sample size, the type of data being presented, and any potential biases or limitations in the data.

5. Can a graphic with statistics be misleading?

Yes, a graphic with statistics can be misleading if the data is misrepresented or if the graphic is designed in a way that distorts the data. It is important to critically evaluate the data and the graphic to ensure that the information being presented is accurate and unbiased.