What is the Simplified Equation for Resistive Force Acting on a Speed Skater?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object with a resistive force proportional to the square of its speed, using the example of a speed skater. The formula for the skater's speed at any time after crossing the finish line is given as Vf=Vi/(1+Vi*k*t), with Vi representing the initial speed and t representing time. The conversation also mentions the process of solving this equation using integration and gives a simplified form of the equation.
gaborfk
Consider an object which the net force is a resistive force proportional to the square of its speed. For example: assume that the resistive force acting on a speed skater is F=-k*m*V^2, where k is a constant and m is the skater's mass. The skater crosses the finish line of a straight-line race with speed V(i) and the slows down by coasting on his skates. Show that his speed at time "t", any time after the finish line is equal to Vf=Vi/(1+Vi*k*t).

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a separable differential equation.
Go ahead!

You mean mdv/dt= -mkV^2 cancel m, gives dv/dt= -kv^2, which in turn yields dv=-kv^2dt? But how does the Vi gets introduced?

Thank you

You get:
[tex]\frac{dv}{v^{2}}=-kdt[/tex]
Right?
Vi enters as the initial condition in that v(0)=Vi

Thank you. I know I have to integrate both sides. Left side from Vi to V(t) and the right side from t to 0. I get -kt for the right side. But I am having trouble with the left.

Post what you've gotten so far! (The equation)

I got it. Thank you. 1/V(t)-1/Vi=-kt. Than simplify...

You have a sign flaw; you should simplify:
[tex]-\frac{1}{V(t)}+\frac{1}{V_{i}}=-kt[/tex]

Related to What is the Simplified Equation for Resistive Force Acting on a Speed Skater?

1. What is resistive force?

Resistive force, also known as drag force, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water.

2. How is resistive force calculated?

Resistive force is calculated using the equation F = ½ρv²CdA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What factors affect resistive force?

The factors that affect resistive force include the density of the fluid, the velocity of the object, the drag coefficient, and the cross-sectional area of the object. Additionally, the shape and surface characteristics of the object can also impact the resistive force.

4. How does resistive force affect an object's motion?

Resistive force can slow down an object's motion, as it counteracts the force that is propelling the object forward. In some cases, resistive force can also change the direction of an object's motion, causing it to deviate from its original path.

5. How can resistive force be reduced?

Resistive force can be reduced by decreasing the density of the fluid, reducing the velocity of the object, and minimizing the drag coefficient and cross-sectional area of the object. Additionally, using streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces can also help reduce resistive force.