What is the smoothest song you've ever heard?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about smooth songs and the participants share their favorites. Some suggested songs include Champaign's "How 'Bout Us", SOS Band's "Tell Me If You Still Care", I Can't Go For That by Rumer and Daryl Hall, k.d. Lang's "Wash Me Clean", and Imagination's "Body Talk". The participants also discuss the sub-genre of "sultry" and mention Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" as a smooth song.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I don't recall coming across this category of songs on here, so here goes. What is the "smoothest" song that you have come across?

I can think of one off the top of my head immediately: Champaign's "How 'Bout Us". If a tune can be called velvety, it is this one. In fact, it is as smooth as fine Champagne! :)

The other song that comes close is SOS Band's "Tell Me If You Still Care". Or maybe I just like the blimp in the cheesy video. :)

The full song, btw, is 7 minutes long! :)

Zz.

Likes edward and EnumaElish
Physics news on Phys.org

I Can't Go For That - Rumer and Daryl Hall - Live from Daryl's House​

Described as "Sultry" in the publisher's comments.
Hopefully, that's a sub-genre of "Smooth". :oldwink:

The King of smooth.

Another entry in this category: k.d. Lang's "Wash Me Clean"

The album this came from, "Ingenue", is one of my favorites of all time. I had goosebumps the first time I heard this tune.

Zz.

Likes EnumaElish
Eric Clapton Wonderful Tonight -

A couple favorites that I would consider "smooth", there are too many to choose just one!

Likes EnumaElish
Another addition to the smoothest song, this is Imagination's "Body Talk".

Zz.

1. What makes a song "smooth"?

The smoothness of a song is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, generally, a smooth song is one that has a relaxed and effortless feel to it. It often has a slow tempo, smooth vocals, and a consistent beat.

2. Are there specific genres that are considered to be "smooth"?

While smoothness can be found in various genres, some genres are known for their smoothness, such as R&B, soul, jazz, and pop. These genres often have a focus on smooth vocals, mellow instrumentation, and a laid-back vibe.

3. Can a song be both smooth and upbeat?

Yes, a song can have elements of both smoothness and upbeat energy. This can be achieved through a combination of smooth vocals and instrumentation, along with a faster tempo and a more upbeat rhythm.

4. Is there a scientific reason why we enjoy "smooth" songs?

Studies have shown that our brains respond positively to music with a slow and steady beat, as it can help reduce stress and promote relaxation. Additionally, smooth songs often have a nostalgic or sentimental quality, which can also contribute to their enjoyment.

5. Can smoothness be measured scientifically?

Yes, there are various scientific methods for measuring the smoothness of a song, such as analyzing the tempo, pitch, and timbre of the vocals and instrumentation. However, the perception of smoothness is still subjective and can vary from person to person.