What is the specific bacteria that helps rabbits digest cellulose?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student seeking help for a project on bacteria in the rabbit's digestive system that helps digest cellulose. They are looking for the exact name of the bacteria and whether it can be obtained from rabbit waste without harming the animal. Members of the conversation mention that rabbits have cellulose digesting bacteria in their cecum and that they re-consume their feces to obtain nutrients. The student ultimately decides to grow bacteria from the feces and test their ability to digest cellulose. It is also mentioned that rabbits have a less efficient digestion process compared to ruminants like cows.
MonsieurWise
Hi, I'm doing a high school project, and I'll need a lot of help...
I'm trying to figure out what bacteria in the rabbit's digestive system that helps the rabbit to digest cellulose. I've searched, but wikipedia or any other website just say "good bacteria".
Could someone give me the exact name of the bacteria? And is there a chance that I can get these bacteria from the waste of the rabbit (either the hard one or the pellets one)? My school does not allow students to kill animals, and I don't want to either...
Thank you so much in advance! ^^

Biology news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me...?

I found a older paper mentioning the bacteria that digest cellulose from the rabbit ceacum however it does not mention the bacteria by name.
http://mic.sgmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/7/3-4/350.pdf

For isolating bacteria, you can collect and use the feces as source bu I don't know if they will contain the cellulose digesting bacteria.

There are plenty of cellulose digesting bacteria. Rodents and rabbits digest differently than cows and the name of the bacteria is escaping my mind right now.

However rabbits do not fully break down cellulose this serves many purposes to the rabbit, I'm also pretty sure that because the bacteria are in the cecum that they must re-eat their feces in order to get the nutritional value from the break down of the cellulose.

In order to isolate the bacteria I am sure that you would be able to find some in a sample of feces. I'm not sure what level of biology you are at because this may be a difficult task and identifying the bacteria may also be difficult.

Thanks everyone so much!
I'm doing it for a high school project... There's no way back now since I have 1 week left.
I gave up the idea of isolating the bacteria (we only have very simple equipments). Now I am just trying to grow the bacteria from the feces now (all of them, not only the cellulose digesting ones), and afterward I would try to put cellulose to some colonies, wait for 1 day and test if any glucose is produced.
However, when zomgwtf say that rabbits do not fully break down cellulose, that would mean what I am doing now is useless, or it is? I am not sure, because my teacher could not answer all my questions...will my experiment stated above still work?
Thank you in advance!

MonsieurWise, rabbits do have cellulose breaking bacteria but has zomgwtf mentioned the bacteria are located at the end of the digestive track rather than the beginning like ruminants such as cows. The cellulose gets partly broken down because the "set-up" is inefficient not due to their lack of cellulose digesting bacteria

Ah, thank you so much. That cleared things up a lot! :))

Related to What is the specific bacteria that helps rabbits digest cellulose?

1. What is the purpose of the rabbit's bacteria project?

The purpose of the rabbit's bacteria project is to study the bacterial flora present in the digestive system of rabbits and how it affects their health and well-being.

2. How will the bacteria be collected for this project?

The bacteria will be collected through fecal samples from the rabbits. These samples will then be cultured in a laboratory to isolate and identify the different types of bacteria present.

3. What types of bacteria are you expecting to find in the rabbits' digestive system?

We expect to find a variety of bacteria in the rabbits' digestive system, including both beneficial and harmful bacteria. Some common types of bacteria found in rabbits include Lactobacillus, Enterococcus, and Bacteroides.

4. How will the bacteria be analyzed and studied in this project?

The bacteria will be analyzed using various techniques, such as DNA sequencing and biochemical tests, to determine their species and characteristics. The data collected will then be studied and compared to understand the role of these bacteria in the rabbits' health.

5. What do you hope to learn from this project?

We hope to learn more about the bacterial communities present in the digestive system of rabbits and how they contribute to the overall health of these animals. This knowledge can help us develop better methods for managing and promoting the health of rabbits in captivity.