What is the speed of block as it reaches O from point P

In summary: Unfortunately no, the only other part of the question says the same thing happens where the block is dropped from P to O except on the moon which has a (g) of 2m/s2
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

A 0.5 Kg block slides from rest down an inclined plane as shown in the figure. The velocity at the bottom of the plane is 6 m/s. The vertical distance PO is 2m.
(gravity = 10m/s2

If the block were to be dropped from P, what would be the velocity at O?

Homework Equations

K.E= (m*v2)/2
P.E= mgh
s= ut + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi so I figured out the Potential energy at the top which is 10J, and the Kinetic energy at the bottom which is 9J.

I don't know if this will come into play.

I notice that the height is 2 m so I had the speed of when it was falling from P to O i could then calculate everything.

But I don't have the speed, I only have the acceleration due to gravity which is 10 m/s2 so from here I'm trying to figure out the time it would take to fall, then I could simply use : (v2-v1)/t

But the problem is I don't have t... I'm trying really hard to figure this out.

I saw I could rearrange the formula for distance in my relevant equations but it seems a bit complicated to single out t from that one, involving completing the square or quadratics, and I honestly truly believe at the level I'm doing (O levels in the Caribbean) they don't want that yet, all I know is that my initial speed is 0 m/s, my distance 2m and my accerleration 10 m/s2

Would someone be so kind to help me?

Attachments

• block.png
    block.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
A 0.5 Kg block slides from rest down an inclined plane as shown in the figure
As shown in which figure?:wink:

Likes Richie Smash
Richie Smash said:
If the block were to be dropped from P, what would be the velocity at O?
Looks like O is directly below P. Is the whole inclined plane scenario simply an obfuscation?

I am not sure if it is an obfuscation, it is from a question from a past practice examination I'm doing... I just am not sure how to calculate the speed of the block if it was dropped from O to P, like I'm pretty sure they mean if it just fell without anything underneath it. They gave the speed of it sliding down the block so I could calculate the kinetic energy at the bottom which was the first part of the question.

As given, the problem did not mention if friction acted on the plane, or the angle of the plane. So you have no way to relate the velocity of the sliding block at the bottom of the plane to a block that simply drops vertically without friction. Seems to me that you can only assume that they want the velocity of an object that free-falls vertically from 2 m.

Richie Smash said:
I just am not sure how to calculate the speed of the block if it was dropped from O to P

Revise the equations of motion, there is one that doesn't need t.

Richie Smash said:
I just am not sure how to calculate the speed of the block if it was dropped from O to P

Revise the equations of motion, there is one that doesn't need t.

Hi this would be V2=V02+2as

So I would get : V2= (0)2+2(10)(2)
V2= 40
V = √40
V=6.32 m/s

Richie Smash said:
Hi this would be V2=V02+2as

So I would get : V2= (0)2+2(10)(2)
V2= 40
V = √40
V=6.32 m/s
Yes.
Are there more parts to the question? Maybe one part is to find the coefficient of friction.

haruspex said:
Maybe one part is to find the coefficient of friction.
I do not believe there is friction. I think the point of the problem is to compare slide down on a frictionless incline with a straight drop in the absence of air resistance.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Are there more parts to the question? Maybe one part is to find the coefficient of friction.
Unfortunately no, the only other part of the question says the same thing happens where the block is dropped from P to O except on the moon which has a (g) of 2m/s2 and explain whether the velocity at O would be greater or lesser than the value obtained for on earth, which of course it would be lesser because the smaller the acceleration according to the formula V2= V02+2as reducing acceleration will clearly reduce it's final velocity.

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. It is usually calculated as the distance traveled divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. How is speed different from velocity?

While speed measures how fast an object is moving, velocity measures not only the object's speed, but also the direction in which it is moving.

3. How is the speed of an object determined?

The speed of an object can be determined by measuring the distance it travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be done using various tools such as a stopwatch, ruler, or speedometer.

4. What factors can affect the speed of an object?

The speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the object's mass, the force applied to it, and the medium through which it is moving (such as air or water).

5. How does the speed of an object change over time?

The speed of an object can change over time if there is a change in the forces acting on it. This can result in an increase or decrease in speed, or even a change in direction.