What is the Suitable Fuse Rating for the Mains Supply in Question 35?

In summary: So in summary, the minimum fuse rating that would meet the requirements in the first sentence would be 30A as it is greater than the maximum load current of 20A and provides a safety margin in case of non-ideal faults.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

Hello, the question is number 35 in this picture here: http://uploads.im/uEWAf.jpg
upload_2017-12-30_20-28-45.png

It states, ''A suitable fuse rating for the mains supply has current rating - (A)10A (B)15A (C)30A (D)60A

Homework Equations

V = IR
P = IV
P = I^2 R
P = V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using all formulas above, but I only got the answer for questions 32 and 33 which are in the picture, I'm not sure how to find the current rating of the fuse, but the answer in my book is C which is 30A. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-30_20-28-45.png
    upload_2017-12-30_20-28-45.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general rule for sizing a fuse is that it will carry the maximum load current but not more current than the supply or wires can safely carry.

You state that you have found the answers to questions 32 and 33. Assume that the suppy and the wiring can support at least the stated load.

What is the minimum fuse rating, among those listed, that will meet the requirements in my first sentence?

Tom.G said:
The general rule for sizing a fuse is that it will carry the maximum load current but not more current than the supply or wires can safely carry.

You state that you have found the answers to questions 32 and 33. Assume that the suppy and the wiring can support at least the stated load.

What is the minimum fuse rating, among those listed, that will meet the requirements in my first sentence?

AH I see what you're saying Tom, yes the answer for 32 is 20A so the maximum load current, and among those listed 30 is the minimum I guess? but how would I know if the wires can safely carry 30A? I'm just choosing that because it seems like 60A is far too much and 30 is the minimum here, but I was thinking there was some formula perhaps?

Richie Smash said:
but how would I know if the wires can safely carry 30A?
Excellent question!
In the real world, the wire size would be specified or you would have to measure it; then look up the maximum current rating.

In school, such 'complications' are usually ignored in the earlier courses in order to get basic concepts across. The problems are presented as 'simplified' or 'idealized'; i.e. "These are the parts we want you to think about. Assume all other aspect are perfect." As you found, it sure can be confusing for those that have a better handle on things.

Likes CWatters
The fuse needs to be greater than 20A so that obviously rules out 10 and 15A fuses. Both 30A and 60A could be ok but 30A is safer because not all faults are ideal short circuits, you might have a fault that draws say 40A.

1. What is the definition of current rating for a fuse?

The current rating for a fuse is the maximum amount of electrical current that the fuse can safely carry without overheating and potentially causing damage or starting a fire.

2. How is the current rating determined for a fuse?

The current rating for a fuse is determined by several factors including the material and size of the fuse, the ambient temperature, and the type and duration of the electrical current passing through it.

3. What happens if the current rating of a fuse is exceeded?

If the current rating of a fuse is exceeded, the fuse will heat up and eventually melt, breaking the circuit and preventing further flow of electricity. This serves as a safety measure to protect the electrical system and prevent potential hazards.

4. Can the current rating of a fuse be increased?

No, the current rating of a fuse is determined by its design and cannot be increased. Attempting to increase the current rating can lead to dangerous situations as the fuse may not be able to properly protect the circuit.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a fuse with the appropriate current rating?

When selecting a fuse, it is important to consider the maximum current that will be flowing through the circuit, as well as the potential for short circuits or surges. It is also important to choose a fuse with a current rating slightly higher than the expected maximum current to ensure proper protection.